1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Steel recipes suitable for trap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joe kuhn, Apr 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

I define 'suitable for trap' to mean sub 1300 fps. I'm also limiting this to online sources so everyone can look at them.

Alliant has recipes for their 'Steel' powder and they are very fast at well over 1300 fps. Maybe they will come out with some better recipes soon. I hope so.

Hodgdon has some 7/8 and 1 oz loads. Work your way into their data center at 'http://data.hodgdon.com' and select 12 ga, steel. Look through the different shell types to see their recipes. This is as good as it gets on-line to my knowledge.

"Status of Steel" from Ballistic Products and "Steel Shot Reloading Manual" from Precision Reloading are also sources for steel load recipes suitable for trap although you usually only see one or two lines below 1300 fps. I won't reproduce those loads here because...I won't. You can call the companies and purchase the manuals or ask for the recipes directly. If you're buying their wads, you'll probably get a recipe or two if you tell them you're a volume shooter and need something on the softer side. Whether or not some of these are on line, I don't know. That would be a good research project.

Joe

2. joe kuhn

All the Hodgdon recipes are for Universal Clays.

3. joe kuhn

Alliant 20/28 and Alliant Unique are just above Universal on the Hodgdon burn rate chart. Maybe Alliant will test some loads for us.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.