1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Steel Patterning Plate

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gettysburgtrapshooter, Aug 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gettysburgtrapshooter

gettysburgtrapshooter TS Member

Does anyone know of a good source for the "grease paint" used on steel patterning plates???

Thanx in advance for any help you guys can offer.

Scott

2. Jimmyc

Jimmyc TS Member

Our club just used axle grease rolled on with and old paint roller. Worked pretty good. Don't know if it got moved to the new club or not.
    Jimmy

3. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Just get grease and go to paint store and buy a tube of white or silver paint pigment coloring and mix it in withthe grease. Use roller or big old paint brush. Works well.

4. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

Phil Simms (walnutmaker on TS.com) told me how to do it at our club. I had a new 4ft.X 4ft. patterning plate made and installed to replace the crappy one that was there. We used 3/16 steel and cut a two inch hole about 18 inches up from the bottom for our aimming point. The bottom of our plate is approx. three feet off of the ground.

Go to a Home Depot and go to the paint department, buy some white pigment. This is what they use to mix special colors and is not usually for sale on the shelves. It was under the counter at our store and they had to get a price and approval to sell it to me, which they did. These containers hold two quarts.

Now buy a empty gallon paint can, a sturring stick or two, a couple of cheap can openers and a moderatly priced 4 inch paint brush. Now go to the automotive store and buy a quart of 10-30 oil. Now go back to the plate and add the pigment to the gallon can and then mix in the oil and stir, you now have three quarts of coating inside off the can. This makes a super coating for the plate that you can repaint as needed. Some old pros at our club have said they have never seen a material that works this well.

We are very pleased with the results, it's a first class installion.

Tom Strunk

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have seen many and used a few steel pattern plates. I have never figured out how you get any useful information from them. How do you count the hits in the center 20 inch ring and the total hits in the 30 inch ring. It is simply not possible to determine the POI accurately (withing an inch) with a steel pattern plate. With a very good pigmented grease, it might be possible to take a digital photograph of the pattern and put it into Andrew's computer program, but it is much easier to do this with a pattern shot on white paper.

Pat Ireland

6. Tom Strunk

Pat, I and everyone I know stopped counting pellets 30 years ago. If you have nothing better to do with your time so be it, counting pellets is not my method of testing a shell. I see how the targets break and make my decison on the trap or sporting clay fields. Not all barrels like all shells.

Once I find something I like by proving the worth of the reload by breaking over a 98 at 16's and over a 95 from the 27, or over a 90 on the sporting clay course, then I have confidence in that shell. I use the plate for checking the POI before shooting a new gun and finding my POI AFTER I have adjusted the gun to center targets on the trap or sporting fields. That's it.

I have had two 397 in the HAA at the California and Arizona state shoots using some reloads for the doubles and singles events, new shells for the handicap events. I have also used my reloads to make the United States Shooting team and go to England to represent the USA in world sporting. So in conclusion I think my methods work for me. Count all the pellets you want, as I stated, I gave that up 30 years ago.

Best Wishes --

Tom Strunk

7. walnutmaker

walnutmaker TS Member

You guys with the grease are working too hard. The method Tom tells you about is simply the easiest, least messy, and quite franky the best method out there. If you don't try it don't blame us. Phil S.

8. Tom Strunk

doda - Sure, glad to help. Just private message me with the info about which hull you would like to use, and what you plan to use the shell for. I'll tell you what works for me.

Tom Strunk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.