1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Steel based hulls

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mo Bill, Jan 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mo Bill

Mo Bill Member

I have several thousand Rem Gun Club hulls.I do reload them( they
    seem a ltl harder to resize)..but my main concern is the steel base.
    Is there any evidence that they can cause undo wear in the chamber?

Tnx

Mo Bill

2. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

correct me if i'm wrong..but.. all hulls are steel base, some just have a pretty brass color added..

3. willing

willing Member

OK, you're wrong. AAs,STS and Nitros are brass, don't know about Gold Medal.

Bill

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

blkcloud - You are wrong, premium shells do have brass heads.

APrice- The steel used to make barrels is not real hard. The steel on the discount shells is much harder than barrel steel. Remember, hard is not the same thing as strong.

The steel heads should not cause wear on the chamber but can cause some wear on the receiver as the gun is closed.

Pat Ireland

5. k3uro

k3uro Member

Hey,

It seems to me that the biggest threat is to the re-sizer on your MEC. I have heard steel hulls can contribute to the breaking of the fingers.

Take care,

Jim

6. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

You guys are right.. did the magnet test and the aa won..lol..
    I thought I had read a few months ago where all were changed to steel and had the brass wash, I went back and re read the post about it and it said almost all high brass and all of the cheaper shells had the steel heads.. thanks!

7. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

There is a trade off. Cheaper shell prices vs. possible premature wear. But I don't think the wear will come anytime fast.

I don't load very many steel base shells. Only ones I shoot at sporting target that I won't or can't retreive.

But if you reload, and the majority of your shells shot are reloads, I don't see where a cost savings comes in for loading steel base shells. Remington and Winchester brass base are easy to get also. But, than again I'm not trying to spend your money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.