1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Steel based hulls

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by deadpair, Sep 15, 2013.

1. deadpair

deadpair Member

Does the use of steel based hulls like gun clubs or super targets have a negative effect on the guns barrel? I have heard people say that they will wear out a chamber much faster than the brass base on the higher end shells and that if you shoot enough of them you may have to sleeve your chamber to bring it back to tolerances. what is the truth

2. Hookedonshooting

Hookedonshooting TS Member

Not sure abount break open guns, but model 12's dont like them. The m12 has a chamber ring, and with steel hulls you occasionally have to yank on the fore end to get them out. I'm not sure what it does to the chamber ring, but am concerned about bending/breaking the action slide. Brass only for me.

3. EdSy

EdSy Active Member

Brass has a natural "spring back" that is lacking is steel. However, the steel skin over the base of many modern shells is very thin. I can't feel any difference in my pump or break-open shotguns between the two after firing. -Ed

4. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I do not have any problems re-loading the Federal Top Guns, I load 2 loads first is One Ounce w/19 grs Promo 12So wad fed 209A Primer, and 19 grs Promo 1 1/8th oz 7.5s Windjammer wad Rio Primer.

They resize easily in my MEC9000 Loader

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

5. Hookedonshooting

Hookedonshooting TS Member

my PW resizes both as it should. Guessing the steel hulls "mushroom" a tad and thus hang up in my m12's chamber ring. But thats a m12 issue, doesnt happen with brass hulls.

6. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

Deadpair,
    I've got nearly 30,000 rounds through my CG Maxum UnSingle. Most all of them have been Gun Clubs. The chamber and breech face are virtually the same as when it was new.
    Maybe after 300,000 rounds there might be a difference between the brass and the steel based hulls. But at my age, I'll never know.
    As far as reloading, my Spolar and PW can't tell any difference between brass and steel.
    Mike C.

7. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

What MAH66 said. I too have loaded just about everything and have had NO problems. Mec, RCBS, PW's are all on my bench. All four gages. Only problem I have SEEN in person is steel hulls in a Briley 20ga tube set of skeet shooter friend. All other tubes he has are OK.

8. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Every country besides the US uses steel based hulls. Doesn't seem to be a problem for them...

9. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

What kind of gun had the chamber re-sleeved if you don't mind me asking. Note, some of the steel bases have a brass wash on them. The older Gun Clubs and Sport Loads had that going on. A bit better protection and rust preventative. The GC reload great. The steel in that chamber is quite a bit harder than those stamped hull bases.

10. lancelot

lancelot Member

They do rust if you store them for any time. And, rusted or not they tend to stick and make my K-80 hard to open sometimes. At a lesser cost of $20.00 a flat I don't intend to give up on them yet.

I have not had one stick to the point I haven't been able to open the gun or the
    ejectors fail to throw one out.

Ron Ireland

11. lancelot

lancelot Member

Fred,

Thanks for the heads up. You know, when you combine this with the rusting problem, and the fact that those from someplace other than the US, use primers that people tend to have trouble with; I don't think I'll buy any more of them.
    The problem is that I'll need to allocate some target money to shells.

Ron

Ron

12. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

My Ljutic 73 doesn't like them so it gets fed AA's only. I shoot Super-Targets for doubles only.

Ron Burr

13. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

My friend has a SS Ljutic mono. He loads once fired Top Guns mostly and about 40% stick and will not eject. He has no problems with brass base shells. He loads on a PW. I load on an RCBS Grand and have quite a few Top Guns and Gun Club hulls stick in my resizer ring, however I have "0" problems ejecting from my Perazzi's or 680 series Berettas. They load and shoot great --ONCE. Bill

Search tags for this page

model 12 doesnt like steel hulls