1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Steel based hulls

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BeerKing, Apr 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeerKing

BeerKing Active Member

Opinions on steel base shells. Do they cause any problems with your gun?

2. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

No problems with any of mine. They do stick in some guns. Bill Malcolm

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

No problems in the guns (Browning XTs).

MK

4. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

No problems in mine--a CG Maxum Combo. In fact today will load some
    Gun Clubs in 1 oz for practice.
    Mike C

5. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

Told by gunsmith they are hard on firing pins and the breech face.

6. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Primers contact the firing pins and primers are the same in either steel or brass bases and a steel hull base is a softer steel than my receiver.

MK

7. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

sptnclays, if in fact, a gunsmith told you that steel based hulls are hard on firing pins I would be suspect of anything he/she told me. Steel capped primers, maybe, but the base never touches the firing pin.

Buz

8. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Beerking, They are hard on the breech faces and the ejectors of shotguns. Its something that builds over time. Short term use is OK, but long term use is just more wear and tear than normal. A Friend of mine likes to use steel and had to send his gun back to Dennis to fix his new Infinity. His gun is built like a tank and in 4 months had metal slivers in his ejector. Every gun is different but extra wear is what you'll get. I reload brass for a reason. Break-em all. Jeff

9. BeerKing

BeerKing Active Member

Thanks Jeff that is what I expected. I just got a new gun and don't need to do anymore damage to the breech face then necessary. Problem is I have abought 10000 Gun Clubs to to get rid of.

10. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Beer... Use them up... and let them fly.

11. chipking

chipking TS Member

BeerKing Where you at? We may work out a trade (my once fired STSs for your once fired Gun Clubs) if you are close enough. I have had no problems with the steel based hulls and the GC hulls themselves seem to give a few more reloads per before the crimp splits start. Must be the price you pay for that shiny slick STS green.

--- Chip King ---

12. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Beerking, You got 40 flats around the house!!! Try making some trades with local guys, shoot some out of another gun. Gun Clubs are what my friend was using in his Infinity. Dennis fixed it for nothing, but it cost him shipping both ways to him for about 140 dollars or so. My Brownings shoots them just fine, but I have seen the wear in others guns after a year or so of shooting. Break-em all. Jeff

13. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I put a film of grease on my breach face. My MX8 has over 300,000 rounds through it and there is no appreciable wear there. Even around the firing pin hole.

I also put the same grease film on the ejector faces where they meet the breach face.

14. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Barry: How long does that grease film last? I know some Perazzi owners that will not shoot them. I don't own Perazzi but I know my Spolar has issues with running them around. Hard to size and hard to pop out. Dave T.

15. BeerKing

BeerKing Active Member

central iowa

16. chipking

chipking TS Member

Well Poop a long distance swap between there and Virginia would be counter productive for both of us. If you have worries then load once shoot and drop is probably the best answer for your peace of mind IF you can't find a local swap.

--- Chip King ---

17. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

There are to many good cases laying around to mess with a bad one. Shit can them and reload the good ones.

18. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Just take a claybird boxful of those G.C.s & wipe the steel heads with an oily rag while you watch the evening news, you can do a boxful in just a few minutes, they will go through your loader much easier & & not stick in your barrel near as bad because they have a light film of oil. I do this whenever I load anything with steel heads. just my experience. (as per beerking I get more reloads from G.C.s than anything else) Ross Puls

19. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Steve. I know what you sold...What kinda shootin stick did you buy?

20. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

Carry a magnet with you if really want to stay away from steel base hulls. Many of the "brass" base hulls are brass plated only and not solid brass. Some
    GC hulls are plated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.