1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Steel based hulls, bad for your gun?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Quack_kills, Nov 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quack_kills

Quack_kills TS Member

Who started this non-sense? I would like to see scientific/metallurgical/common sense proof that steel based hulls could ever damage a breech face? Who makes this stuff up?

2. Quack_kills

Quack_kills TS Member

It amazes me, what people can talk themselves into believing.

3. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Not going to argue if they harm your gun or not.....but....better get used to it. I have a feeling that's all your going to get before long.

4. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

It also amazes me why people keep bringing it up!

5. ken a

ken a Member

I don't know this for a fact but there are reports that the steel is harder on the shotgun ejectors and your reloader resizer but as Mark 425 says get used to it. Kind of like alcohol in the gas, no one likes to use it but thats about all there is available.

6. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Other than the fact they stick in my Ljutic, they break targets as well as the premium shells....

7. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

The rifle and pistol guys don't seem to have a problem w/ steel shells...

8. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

I was told if you want to accelerate the wear and tear on AR type semi-auto rifles and semi-auto handguns, run that Wolf steel ammo stuff through them....

9. kd185

kd185 Member

i dont think the steel shells like wolf promote an accelerated wear on a chamber or bolt carrier

what i do know that ive never shot anything so in accurate as wolf/tula/golden bear/aka russian ammo

my 10/22 will out shot ANYTHING that wolf can produce

feed a machine crap and get crap results

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

When brass heads shells are shot, the brass expands to the chamber size and then contracts to a smaller size. Steel headed shells also expand, but the steel does not contract as much as the brass (resilience). This means that steel shells will be a bit harder to eject than brass shells. Steel heads will place an additional stress on the extraction/ejection system of a gun. Ejectors will break. It seems logical to me that placing an additional stress on ejectors would result in more ejectors breaking.

Pat Ireland

11. Quack_kills

Quack_kills TS Member

I very much agree with people on the extraction/chamber issues with steel. I use a collet type re sizer and I have no problem what so ever shooting steel based hulls in my 12 gauge 391, or 20 gauge in my Kolar tubes. I find they eject just as well as "brass" based hulls, assuming they are properly re sized.

12. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Talk to Kerry Allor, Barrel Works in MI. Also, listen to Pat I above.

He's probably the #1 go-to guy for barrel work in the US.

He'll tell you he loves the steel cased shells becuase it provides him a great deal of eventual business.

Whiz

13. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

They seem to work ok in my guns, but my PW 900 loader can sure tell the difference!

I run all steel base shells through a MEC Supersizer first to save wear & tear on the PW.

Kiv

14. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

Well, here is my 2 cents worth on steel hulls. I believe from talking to many guru's of this industry, the steel based hulls have a primer pocket issue. The primer pocket enlarges as I am sure brass does, but the resizing process if any does not really seal the pocket up as completely would a brass hull, getting what I call blow back when fired in the gun.

I love gun clubs in regards to the looks of the finished product when I ran 50 through my Spolar. Probably slicker looking than STS or Nitro that I use. My grand plan was to use gun clubs and toss after 1 reload. But if there is even the slightest chance that the blow back would eat away one of my trap guns, it just did not seem worth it. The two boxes I loaded worked great, and I did not see any physical evidence of a problem in that short test. But it kind of reminded me of the guy who buys a Lexus and then whines about having to use premium fuel in it, so I decided not to be that guy myself.

I think due to the high number of threads I read on firing pin issues in certain models, there is more than a slight chance this is more than urban legend.

15. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Kd, try Wolf 22 Target in your rimfire. In most guns it will shoot better than anything below Eley 10X.

Jim brown

16. maka

maka Member

Intially, when I started to reload; an old timer told me to buy four boxes of new shells you intend to shoot. He told me take a Micrometer or Calipher's and measure and record the size of shell head just above were it meet's the plastic. Average it out and set your collet or resizer accodingly. He also told me to hold a straight edge over the crimp and measure and record the depth of each. Then set your press accordingly. I followed his advice and after 20 plus years with my Grabber, have not had problems with either ejection or poor crimps. I own and shoot Berreta's, Brownings, Krieghoff's, and Remington's all with no problems.

17. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I see the wear all the time.

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

The ejection problem with hulls that have steel heads has nothing to do with resizing the shells as they are loaded. It is due to the expansion of the heads in the chamber when the shell is fired. The 9,500 psi of chamber pressure pushed back against the steel head as well as pushing the shot forward. The steel heads will expand to the size of the chamber. Brass heads also expand but quickly go back to just a little less than the chamber size.

Pat Ireland

19. phirel

phirel TS Member

The ejection problem with hulls that have steel heads has nothing to do with resizing the shells as they are loaded. It is due to the expansion of the heads in the chamber when the shell is fired. The 9,500 psi of chamber pressure pushed back against the steel head as well as pushing the shot forward. The steel heads will expand to the size of the chamber. Brass heads also expand but quickly go back to just a little less than the chamber size.

Pat Ireland

20. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

This thread reminds me about the old adage about selling hay to horse people.
    "Expensive horses are picky about what they eat and their owners are even moreso"

It seems that the owners of expensive trap guns are more psycho about this than
    us lesser souls that shoot 870's and citoris.

Just my opinion......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.