1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Steel base shells-Any problems out there?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by gbatch, May 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gbatch

gbatch TS Member

Please chime in here.

I took my recently refinished and inspected 90T out this weekend. I promptly dropped an Estate shell in and WHAM, broke the target just like always <:) When I opened up the gun, the empty hull was stuck in the chamber. It took a bit of prying to get it out. Then I let a friend shoot the gun. He was trying some RIO shells and after all of his next 3-4 shots, each hull was stuck in the chamber. After that, he used STS reloads and had no problems.

This prompted me to have a discussion with Doug Braker (Doug, feel free to chime in here) about this and his experience is that it's not peculiar to the 90T. He's seen it on K80s and Perazzis. He's seeing chambers that are damaged because of the steel base on these shells. It shows up as a slight indentation about 1/4" inside the chamber. And Doug says he is seeing some chambers that require sleeving.

So my questions for this esteemed group are

1.Is anyone else out there experiencing this problem with the non-brass based shells?

2. If so, what have you done about it?

3. Is this problem, and the potential damage it could do to the chamber, sufficient reason for you to stop shooting steel based shells?

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Ljutics do not like steel base shells. I can shoot em in my TMX because I only extract and do not eject. They do not completely eject in my MX-3 Doubles gun. They will not cycle in my Winchester Model 50 with the floating chamber. I would rather shoot my reloads with STS or AA hulls. I do not save brand new Gun Club hulls because of the extra force needed to resize them on my PW loader.

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I have two friends who experience difficulty removing fired stell-based hulls from their guns - a K-80 and a 90-T. My KX-5 and my son's Beretta 687 digest Gun Clubs with no problems, as do most other guns. It apparently is a very random thing.

Ed

4. Sixshooter

Sixshooter TS Member

I've shot Rios for three years. I have experienced ejection problems but almost never do they not eject, only don't fly out as far. I have had a few times where they don't clear the gun. When that happens I use a moto tool with a brass brush to polish out the chamber and this fixes the problem. I have shot both krieghoff and Perazzi's with the Rios. Since I have been shooting the Rios, my Krieghoffs have easily shot 150,000 targets, I have not seen the chamber ridge reported above. It would seem unlikely that this would happen in a well made firearm given the hardness and quality of steel in the chambers.

Mark Zauhar

5. coyote268

coyote268 TS Member

At our range, a couple of youngsters shooting 1100 20 gauges were having trouble with the Winchesters. They would extract part way but not enough to eject. Gave them some brass Fiocchi's I had with me and they shot fine. I had the same problem with my 1100 Competition so had to go to brass base shells. My 99 handles them well though.
    Dan

6. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

I have never had a problem with them sticking in my gun, but I did find that they must be resized if you plan on reloading and shooting them in more than one gun. With the brass base hulls I have no problem using them in different guns.

7. kolar12

kolar12 Member

I had a problem with my Kolar. It would eject Gun Clubs, but not Rios or Keman. I had Mechanical ejectors installed and it would still not eject. I took the gun to Kolar and Jeff worked with me on this. The chamber had to be sleeved and re chambered because the chamber was too large. Works fine now. Jeff stated that the steel against steel will wear chambers and he feels that people will slowly experience problems as they use these shells.

I have been loading 20ga shells with a 600jr. Using steel headed shells with this loader lets you feel first hand how hard the steel is. Hard to shove the shell into the sizing ring. Very easy with brass headed shells.

8. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

And people ask why I reload G/M and not Estates, Gun Club, and Top Gun hulls.

Rock

Jim

9. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

My Ljutic ejects 2 3/4 dram Rios, but not the 3 dram - they stick big time. The 3 dram Rio papers work just fine. I guess the thicker paper hull prevents as much case head expansion as you get from plastic. Down side is the cost of the paper shells.

10. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Hi Gene, I have tried Gun Clubs, Winchesters, and Estates. I had the same problems mentioned by theunloader (GB) above in a Beretta 391 using Gun Clubs. I thought I might have to take the gun to a gunsmith to get a fired hull "unstuck". Seems the steel expands and won't let go in the chamber. When I tried reloading steel-based sometime ago it was a pain...my MEC Grabber strained to resize them properly. I gave up and now only reload Rem. STS hulls. Others have noted the chambering problems, so fire new ones, hope they eject and do no damage and then pitch them. Best Regards, Ed
    PS. I shoot some of my best scores with the stock/forearm you sold me.

11. Neil R

Neil R TS Member

Steel base shells expand when fired. Brass base shells expand and will return partially to the original sized shape. That is the nature of a brass base shell.
    Neil

12. Mac V

Mac V Guest

Absolutely no problems with steel bases in my 2 year old Citori and only occasional problems with the 20 year old Citori if the chambers aren't kept clean. I reload AAs and STSs with brass bases but my mainstays are the Gun Clubs with steel bases. My 2 yr. old gun will kick them out 10-feet if I let it.

Mike

13. gasman03

gasman03 Member

I have never had a problem with new ones but if they are reloads they must be resized or they will not go in. (BT-99)

Corey

14. twopipe

twopipe Member

they stick in my Briley 20 ga tubes, so I have to use AA or STS reloads

15. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I carry a brass rod with rounded ends about 3" long in my vest for the odd occasion a Super Target gets stuck in my Ljutic....not gonna change ammo because of it....I use one of "Shootin' Accessories" chanber brushes and it seems to help.

16. K80

K80 TS Member

FYI:

Concerning RIO shells I have been told they are doing away with both their mid brass [blue] and high brass [green] hulls and switching over to the typical low brass design. I can confirm the low brass green switch over because I just received an order and they are the new low brass. The blue hull loads I received with this order are still the mid-brass type. The green would stick about 2 or 3 out of 25 in my K80. No big deal, took another hull put it under the rim and it popped right out. With the new low brass design there is no more sticking at all.

My son's K80 had a serious sticking issue with the blue hulls. Chris Maest of Clay Target Sports, reamed the ejectors slightly and since he has not had one stick in 50,000 or so rounds.

K80

17. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I had that problem from time to time with Rio's ... The problem goes away in the winter months so the outside temperature must have something to do with it ... I cannot shoot them in the summer months because almost all of them will hang up in the gun ... I shoot the Rio handicap loads and a Perazzi MX-2000 combo and they hang up in all of the barrels not just the single barrel ... Never had a problem with Estates, or Gun Clubs in the same gun ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.