1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Steel base hulls.........long term effect.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Spanky, Aug 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Just throwing this out there for your opinions. The possible effects on guns chamber with long term use of steel base hulls. I havn't reloaded or shot any 12 gauge through my Browning or Beretta Trap Guns with the steel bases. I don't think I'll ever really have to, unless something drastic happens to all my hulls. I've been messing around with some skeet lately with my 20 gauge. Using a cherry of a 20 ga. 1100. I set myself up back about 6 months age to reload for it. Have been reloading only Remmy Gun Clubs, Sport Loads and Shur-Shot Sure Heavy Doves. They've been reloading fine, pattern will and breaking targets, and do resize alright but, there in alot more noticeable streatch to a fired steel base than a brass base. No chamber sticking. Not yet at least. In the near furure I'm thinking about stepping myself up to an O/U. Not a Peruzzi, Kolar or Kriegoff. In all honesty it's way out of my league (bank account). Most likely a Browning XS or 68X. Which will be better for me than the 1100. I realize guys are shooting the Steel Gun Clubs all day long day in and day out but, still would like to get opinions on the long term use of steel base hulls.

2. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Lots of people like steel based hulls for reloads. My experience concluded that they are somewhat harder to load (resize) on MEC loaders. After several instances of hulls being hard to extract from Beretta 391 and Browning or Beretta O/Us and from Briley sub-gauge tubes...I gave up and have stuck with brass based hulls ever since...no problems. Look hard at Browning (my first choice) or Beretta O/Us...I have had both and had best luck with Browning. Best Regards, Ed

3. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

The only problem I have ever seen is if you have a chamber that is rough and contains tiny tooling marks, the steel bases can expand into them and lock onto them. In my experience this happens mainly in older pump guns. Other than that, as long as you don't let the hulls get and stay wet, no problems. In my experience the Remington Gun Club hulls are excellent to reload. I've been using them for several years and no gun problems at all.

4. mike b.

mike b. Member

Just a extraction problem on a Ithaca single barrel.(use very little) Biggest problem is breaking fingers every 2-3 years on the mec resizing station.

5. 12Gagejon

12Gagejon Member

They didn't like my BPS after reloaded on a Horniday 366 stuck all the time Jon

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Resizing is the key with the GC type hull. Other than that you won't have any problems with any of the guns mentioned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.