1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Steel and .410

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by spitter, Jul 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

If you think .410 is humbling enough try it with steel #7s. Last night I was able to coax a few competent shooters into trying their hand using a "skeeters" sub-gauge in IC.

With a pellet count of 140, weighing in at 1/3oz, the little pop-gun was able to break birds cleanly in knowledgeable hands. Our 1st time out, the reloading was not quite perfect as we had a few pops & fizzles.

Biggest obstacle was getting the steel to drop in the Grabber - not many options as in 12 gauge reloading, so it may come to using dippers and funnel.

Talk was we might hold a .410 tourney just to keep us grounded! We'll keep you informed of our progress.

Naperville Steel Fanatics,
    Jay

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I would think that 3" hulls would be ok in this case. You might be able to attain 1/2oz loads with them using steel.

There are a couple of clubs around this neck of the woods that shoot 410 annies from the 16yd line. seeing a forth shot broke is very impressive.

ec90t

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Are you shooting steel because it is a range requirement or just because it seemed like a twisted thing to do?

4. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

We have to use steel at our club (Skyway Trap & Skeet). Would you have a suggestion of where to start with 410 loads as to powder and amount?

I am also looking for a 28ga steel load if anyone has one.

Bob

5. skeezix

skeezix Member

Bob

Rsi, http://www.reloadingspecialties.com/index.html advertises a 28 ga steel shot wad, and cast steel down to #9. Their linked retailer, however, does not list the 28 ga. wad.

Their loading manual write-up does not mention the 28 ga. either.

John

6. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Our range has the dubious distinction of having the 1st USEPA NPDES permit to allow discharging a pollutant into Waters of the US. Not twisted, we're required to use non-toxic ammo and we chose to use steel because it is easy to manage and is the most cost-effective alternative shot material.

When I decided (like the other day) to just shoot .410, my methodology was similar to that used in working with 12/20 gauge ammo. Take the lightest lead recipe I could find and swap in steel. Extensive pressure testing in 12 gauge showed super low pressue, but barrels exhibit clean burning properties.

A long time loader, had some 2400 and we loaded 13gr and hand loaded shot to the lip of the wad petals (1/3 oz), using a winchester 209 primer on older AA hull - that's the secret recipe. In spite of some loader problems, we managed to load a dozen test shells and off they went (some better than others) but most broke targets (the pops and fizzles I take the blame for!).

After a dozen shells, I didn;t see any scaring, but I will guess we're getting some perforation of the wad and will try to harvest a few for examination. In my mind, I'm not shooting valuable guns and by the time wear might become an issue, I'll either be an old man or have saved my pennies to by a new gun!

I'd rather shoot than not shoot and have some interesting fun while doing it.
    Jay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.