1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

STD WT 1100

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mooshkat, Jan 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mooshkat

mooshkat Member

I bought gun from a young fella who inherited it, only problem with it he told me was the bolt wont close. So i thought maybe a good cleaning was in order, well what it was , is the extractor was not slipping into the grove in the barrel extention, it was trying to go under it and just slamming against the barrel ext. So i thought the extractor was bent or something, stop at a gunsmith who had a new one, didnt work, did same thing, he says bolt is wore out, making extractor tip inwards or its a 20ga. bolt in gun. He says bolts are the same, just the 20 is milled out by the extractor are a bit more on the 20ga, and the barrel on the 20 natually is smaller, otherwise everything else is the same on both the 12 and 20. So if this is true, and it is a 20ga bolt( ordered a 12ga bolt off ebay)would a 20ga std wt barrel fit on this gun and turn it into a 20ga?

2. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

Forearm would not work. Mag cutoff would not work. don't know what else.

3. sts1100

sts1100 Member

I don't believe the standard 20 bolt has the recoil buffer in the rear of the bolt.

4. mooshkat

mooshkat Member

the bolt in my gun has that i believe, looks like some type of fiber washer, maybe it is a twelve ga bolt, and its actually wore out, is this someone else had happen?

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Drop the trigger group out of the gun and see if it has a 12 ga. follower. Also remove the extractor from the bolt and see if it closes. HMB

6. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

The bolt is not "wore out."

I think you need to take it to another gunsmith.

7. mooshkat

mooshkat Member

He really dosent think its wore out either, he thinks its a 20ga.bolt, but if it is in fact a 12ga. then all he can say is it must be wore a little, he dosent know what else would make the extractor tip inwards towards the bolt enough that it wont jump into the grove, when we tried different extractors.

8. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

mooshkat:

sts1100 is correct. A standard weight Rem. 1100 20ga bolt doesn't have a recoil buffer.

Recoil buffers in 12 ga bolts are (I think) made of nylon. I've never seen a fiber version. I can't imagine a fiber bushing being tough enough to stand up to the pounding they get.

sissy

9. mooshkat

mooshkat Member

I got my used bolt i bought off ebay, looks like mine, nylon insert is black instead of white, put in the gun works great. I am still stumped as to why the original bolt dosent work, even with a new extractor in it, they look identical. Thanks Dave

10. mooshkat

mooshkat Member

both bolts have the recoil buffer, the one i had was white the one i bought on ebay is black, yes they are both nylon. Dave

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Does the bolt close when the extractor is removed? HMB

12. mooshkat

mooshkat Member

i didnt try it without extractor but i am sure it would, its the extractor hitting on the barrel ext that prevents it from closing, and like i say i have tried 2 different extractors, a new one and one out of my 870 express. I will go and try it later without the extractor, but i bet will close.

13. mooshkat

mooshkat Member

The gun i bought is a 12ga and yes it closes without the extractor. I took the extractor out of the used bolt i bought that works and put it in my old bolt, old bolt still wont close, has to be the bolt. i put on some good reading glasses and i can see a worn spot on the original bolt where the extractor touches the bolt at the face, it must be just enough to tip the extractor towards the bolt that it butts the barrel ext. instead of jumping into the groove, its like its trying to go under the barrel ext. Dave

14. sts1100

sts1100 Member

When you changed extractors did you change the spring and plunger as well?

15. mooshkat

mooshkat Member

no i didnt, i will do that right after supper, i dont know why i didnt, thats about the only thing i didnt try.

16. mooshkat

mooshkat Member

Well that didnt work, has to be the bolt, must be that area by the extractor that looks like a wore spot, or it was put there intentionally and its a 20ga bolt. Dave

17. sts1100

sts1100 Member

It is possible that the original bolt has been modified.
    Since the second bolt you purchased operates properly.

18. mooshkat

mooshkat Member

I suppose it could have been, but why, if it dosent work? All i know is it will not work in this gun, no matter what i do, its basicly useless to me. Dave

19. sts1100

sts1100 Member

I have not seen or experienced a bolt wear so the extractor would tip in that far, and I have shot 1100s enough to have the receivers crack, which is why I thought the bolt might have been modified. One more thought, remove the extractor, plunger and spring from the bolt that doesn't work then check if there is anything in the recess that could be interfering with the extractor. You might need to use a small wire to feel around inside the recess.

Good luck

20. mooshkat

mooshkat Member

nothing there. Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.