1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Staying warm when its COLD - an idea

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GrandpasArms, Dec 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

Some shooting friends have been wearing those electric shooting coats and they are pleased with them. One guy actually tells me that his is too warm. Instead of that kind of clothing, I've been using those disposable heat packs. They start warm for over 8 hours and there's no need to be concerned about changing batteries. Like most people, I place them in my pockets. On really cold days I've even tucked them into a second pair of socks. However, I once got a nasty burn because ethe inner socks were too thin.

Over a quart of blood flows through our kidneys every minute. A,l of our blood makes it through the kidneys in about 4 minutes. Therefore, warming the back, over the kidneys, should help keep a person warm even when the temperatures drop into and below single digits.

I tried pinning a heater pack to a shirt. It worked, but I could feel the pins. The skin on our back is more sensitive than we thing. Maybe that's why that flogging thing was so popular in days past. ALso, I was concerned that there might be an additional chemical reaction between the chemicals in the pack and the metal in the pin. I noticed discoloration on the pin when I removed the pack at the end of the day.

This past weekend I attached a small bag to the back of my shirt with a man's version of a needle and thread, Duct Tape. I wore two pullover shirts, a flannel button shirt, and a vest. The heater pack was taped to the outside of the flannel shirt - three layers from skin and inside my vest.

It worked like a charm, except for two minor issues. The packet was difficult to reposition or remove without getting partly undressed. Also, the heat of the pact softened the tape adhesive and made a small mess on the bag that I used to hold the packet. Today, I tied a thin string to the bag, inserted the heater pack, and looped the string over my neck, outside the flannel shirt, with the bag hanging down my pack. It is easy to adjust the length and removing the contraption is a snap.

One packet is more than enough if my other clothes are solid. The heat pack is position between the two kidney areas. I'm thinking about making a longer pouch that would hold two packs, but my experience suggests that one is enough for a long day of shooting.

I still keep one pack in each pocket (for hands when I'm waiting), but no longer risk placing them inside my socks. The warmth on the kidneys seems to keep all of me warm, even my feet. Speaking of socks, I'm thinking an old, thin sock would be a good sack for the heat pack. What do you think?

Larry

2. Bill Roberts

Bill Roberts Active Member

Thermo care makes one that wraps around your back at the waist that works
    great.

Bill

3. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

When I am out in the deer stand, my outer jacket clothing has chest pockets. I put two of those air activated hand warmers, one in each pocket on my chest. Does the same thing. Just buy a double pocket shirt. Usually flannel shirts come with two. The hands can be warmed by putting a warmer in the palm, or the backside of the glove. A good place to put them is on the inside of the wrist, in side the cuff your jacket. Warms the blood going into the hand and coming out. The feet are a different story. For shooting I just wear thick insulated boots. For the amount of time out in the cold while shooting, they usually stay warm enough.

4. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

An ordinary elastic back support with pouches added for the packs?

5. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Move to FL!!

6. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Jon-e handwarmers used to offer a belt with pockets so that you could place 2 hand warmers - one over each kidney.

Where are you located and what activity are you engaged in that you require this kind of heat source?

7. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Those Jon-E's where some flame throwers, as far as heat goes. WOW! Still have four of them. The little ones where the ones I used to put in my front pockets. They got to hot, and I had to make sure they where not pressed up against my body, even through thermal layers in between.

8. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

If I'm going to be "out" as in ice fishing--deer stand--etc. where I'm not very active I've found that just NOT cutting myself in half with a belt works very well. Long underwear + a light pr of coveralls (for pockets) + regular shoes-boots until I get where I'm going, then insulated coveralls or snowmobile type suit over the top of everything & "DRY" pacs those with a 1\2" thick removable liner for my poor feet which turn BLUE if they sweat a little before I go out. With this combination I don't get all sweaty before I step out in the cold and if I go in where it,s warm for a while just unzip---step out of the pacs and walk around in my stockings for a few minutes. This seems to help circulation & circulate the heat. If your feet still get cold bring a couple extra pr of dry socks to change into. Hand warmers in pockets are nice too. Ross Puls

9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I use the Jon-E kidney belt and two hand warmers for my coat pockets to warm my hands when I deer hunt. When I get cold, I'm done!

They have toe warmers in the chemical packs too and those work pretty well!

Hap

10. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Real men shoot in T-Shirts............all year long!

Hauxfan!

11. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Those Little inexpensive Zippo hand warmers work great. and last all day on one fill. And they aren't throw away, I use them over and over. Lighter fluid is cheap. Then use a pair of heated socks. Keep the head, hands, and feet warm and you won't get cold.

12. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

I use a Colubia Omni-Heat fleece like jacket. It's thin and super warm. My core is fine shooting in the coldest conditions for the 15 minutes I need to shoot a round of trap. Hands and fingers .... I use the heat gel pack hand warmers in my jacket pockets.

That Milwauki Jacket is pretty nice for long term exposure!!

13. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I have bird hunted in 6 degree cold with a nasty wind blowing. Only my face got cold where it was not covered. Another cold spot was my hands, even with gloves because I was carrying my gun and those barrels get real cold.

I wear a lightweight longsleeve polyesther pullover against my skin to wick away moisture. I then pull on a "warmth" layer, either duofold or the like. I then pull on a fleece 1/4 zip. Topping it all off is a Worsterlon shirt.

I use the zipper fleece to regulate my body heat by zipping it up or down as needed. I also have different weights of each of these garments for further flexibility, if necessary. I can also regulate my warmth by how fast I walk and whether I walk in the woods (windbreak)or in the open.

This has never failed me over many years and all kinds of conditions. The worst problem is if the weather warms up, usually if a bright sun comes out. Then I simply stop, take something off and either hang it in a tree to pick up later or stuff it in my bird bag.

ps In very cold weather I do use a hand warmer in a pocket just to warm my hands occassionally.

14. letts

letts TS Member

I have one of the Milwaukee heated jackets. Used it deer hunting in Dec. with snow on the ground. I love it. Iam sure it will work good trap shooting next sat. as it is not to heavy and I can move good with it on. The battery only went dead on me once and that was after I did not put it on the charger when I returned home from hunting the previous evening. I guess that was after about 4-5 hours of use.

Letts

15. ScottEslick

ScottEslick Member

I recently got a set of the Under Armour base 3.0, it's the fitted type and not compression. So far it seems to be doing the job, will find out more this weekend.

Scott

16. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

For shooting, too much clothing sucks. I use thermal knit undies with a turtleneck, or a sweatshirt if its colder. If it gets around zero I use a fleece hoodie under the shooting jacket.

I have a down shooting coat but it doesn't fit any more. (I need to be motivated for weight loss.)

Layers is the secret.

I put a small chemical handwarmer on the back of my trigger hand and slip the glove on over it if it is below 10 degrees.

HM

17. TD1958

TD1958 Member

When deer hunting here in Ohio. I used to have a flannel shirt with pockets attached on the back of it over my kidneys and slipp the hand warmers into them as well as the front side pockets. Always stayed warm. Tim

18. shadow

shadow Active Member

Set fire to a liberal !!!

19. jamie65

jamie65 Member

we put several extra pairs of shooting gloves in a crock pot turned on high. change gloves between rounds. works wonders on the hands and the concentration.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

zippo hand warmer kidney belt