1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Staying Positive

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 686beretta, Jun 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 686beretta

686beretta TS Member

Hello everyone just got home and unpacked from the Ohio State Shoot, WOW what a facility. I didn't really shoot that well, and I really can't blame anyone/anyhting except the man holding the gun. I shot Friday and did alright then on Saturday I went out and proceded to break 180x200 on the 16's. You should know that I am an A class shooter that had a 95.88 average now thanks to yesterday a 94.81 that's right I lost a target off my average.
    I tend to get down on myself, and it just compoundeds itself. I would like you my fellow shooters to give some advice on how to stay positive and stay strong when and event or a shoot does not go well.
    I realize nobody wins everytime, I just wish to be competive and 180 at Ohio is NOT competive, I really would only like serious, positive feedback.

Thanks everyone.

2. OhioGal

OhioGal Member

You know the positive thing is you got out there and shot. You may not think that is positive, but I went twice, and did not even fire a practice shot.
    I am just starting to shoot ATA and have only shot a gun for 2 years now, the one thing I try to remember is my husband tells me to have fun, when you get to serious you often trip your ownself up.
    I saw some awesome shooters this week, and it gives me the will to keep practicing. Now at the age of 53 not sure how much time I have for all this, but going to go at it with a bang.
    I found music worked for me to get rid of my jitters on the line. I see some like soft tones, me I like the rock and roll.

Good shooting Deb

3. 686beretta

686beretta TS Member

any other thoughts?

4. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Always play the Lewis........then you might bring some winnings home even when you shoot crappy. Makes you feel good just to get a check!

John C. Saubak

5. otnot

otnot Active Member

Don't be so hard on yourself. Your going to find that your going to have good days and bad days of shooting just like real life. Forget the bad ones and concentrate on what you did right. The higher your average gets the harder it is to maintain a high level of expectations. Just enjoy trapshooting for what it is a game, not life and death.

Jim

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

My wife is the most positive person I have ever met. She got down a little when her father passed away but that is the only time I have known her to not be happy and upbeat. She never has a bad word to say about anything or anybody. I asked her what her secret was and she told me that she considered life to be very short and precious and nothing could ever ruin that for her. She loves people, all animals and just has more fun than anyone can imagine. So Beretts686, just think about how lucky you are to be alive and able to be there that day good or bad shooting. Go out on the next shoot and start out with a smile and be positive and break em all.

7. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Staying positive is what seperates us from the elite in our sport. Guys like Leo, Ray, Harlan, Kay, and the rest, NEVER give up. Several years ago, I took a clinic from Daro Handy. In that clinic, he taught us to never let up, no matter what happens. Shoot every target like the tournament counted on the next target for you to be the winner. Well, as it turns out, several weeks later I was at a shoot in Medford, OR. In the final handicap event of the weekend, I proceeded to miss the first target out. Great, I thought. I then changed to post 2 and promptly missed the 7th target out. I was starting to get down on myself and resign myself to yet another just so-so score. Then I remembered what Daro taught us. NEVER give up. Well, to make a long story short, I ran out the remainder of the traps for a 98. Won a fair amount of money, won the calcutta outright as I bought myself, and had a renewed spirit when it comes to staying positive. As the saying goes, it's never over until the fat person sings. More than once, staying positive has saved the event for me, either in the perfect 50's, the magnums, or, even the Lewis. If you are going to "give up" halfway through an event, or beat yourself up for shooting a bad score, you should take up another sport. I heard it said one time that you have never shot your worst score yet, and I believe that. Everyone has a bad day, now and then. Stay positive and confident in your abilities, and those scores will be fewer and farther between.... Just my experience..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

8. Mismost

Mismost TS Member

What works for me is "SEE THIS TARGET"...I don't think about anything but seeing this target. I don't keep score in my head, I don't think about hits, I don't think about misses. What's done is done, let the score keeper do his job.

At each station I do my check list.... foot position, hold point, gun mount, and look point, SEE THE TARGET, and PULL. That gives me something positive to think about...the things I can control.

When I'm doing it right, I stay relaxed, focused on the birds, and things just flow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.