1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Staying In The Gun Question<-I Need Help!!!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dickgshot, Aug 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Sometimes with a release trigger, when you release with your forefinger, the other fingers open as well and you lose control of the gun. concentrate on keeping a grip on the stock when you open your finger to release the trigger.

2. trapshooter5

trapshooter5 Member

When I was doing that while shooting Skeet,A friend(who is an excellent shot and instructor)said to imagine that someone is taking your picture as you break the target! After I thought about that,I started to keep my face on the gun an extra second or so than I had been-made QUITE a difference...give it a try!! Paul in Virginia

3. glenns

glenns Member

Someone recommended shooting both barrels of the gun. If you hit the bird with the first shot try and hit a piece with the second shot. Should make you stay on the gun.

4. andybull

andybull Active Member

Stay on the gun to see the target break over the rib.

5. 870aa

870aa TS Member

Drew,

I have seen what you are talking about in person for a while now. If you lean into the gun a little it will help you stay in the gun better.When you lean into the gun it also helps with recoil. Ha Ha I bet you thought I was going to tell you to get a 1100 huh.LOL

Ted Alsteen

6. Francis Marion

Francis Marion Well-Known Member

I am definately NOT a fan of release triggers. I'm sure I will hear about that. Some ball and dummy will cure you of the flinch. As far as not keeping your head on the gun, FOCUS. Talk to yourself when you mount the gun. Something like " head down, follow the target". That way you think about the words, not your bad habit. Hope this helps.

7. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Swing to the bird and follow through, then swing back to your original point of aim before calling for the bird. If you can learn to do this while maintaining a proper gun hold throughout it should help. I like the photo idea!

Robert

8. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Simple solution:

1. Go to a Sporting Goods Store and buy some strong fishing line and a few treble hooks.

2. Tie the hooks to the fishing line.

3. When you are ready to shoot, place the hooks in your shorts, then tie the fishing line to one of your ears.

4. you will only lift your head ONCE!

9. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Work on making your dismount as deliberate and stylish as your mount routine.

10. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

Something I have found useful, whenever I notice I am guilty of this...I concentrate on pushing smoothly into the shot, which keeps me locked into the shot, for the whole duration. I am a pretty upright stance shooter, so by just pushing weight forward onto the lead knee...I am bringing gun up to face, not lowering my face to the comb. I would prefer to be upright, using my eyes to the best advantage, not looking thru the tops of my eyes, but with head in a natural position. Lots of times I can do it this way, however, I have found when the visability is poor, I really need to concentrate on staying into the shot. Wish you luck. puablo

11. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Try and "follow" a piece after you break a bird. You can also use snap caps and a mirror at home.

12. walnutmaker

walnutmaker TS Member

Drew, Usually I find the most common reason for not staying in the gun is improper gun fit or stock shape that suits YOU! I'll bet some where along the line even if not conciously------- you've been hurt by the gun. Here's the deal--if your gun doesn't kick you and the comb doesn't hurt you guess what--you can cheek the gun firmly and no pain===== hard breaks=== as long as the gun is properly fit.

Just as in the exaggerated after swing------ so must be the wood on wood. Without that you'll never be consistent. Might as well try golf. Just a friendly word of advice from a gunfitter--stockmaker. Phil Simms

13. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Barring gun fit, it might help to have someone pull for you and ask them to vary the release from a 1/2 second to 2 seconds. This should help keep you in the gun and prevent you from anticipating target release.

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

Drew- You expressed a common problem. There is no simple solution. The problem typically involves gun fit resulting in recoil to the face. Things like lighter loads, porting, adding pitch, a soft comb, or getting the stock properly fitted to you might help. A dab of Vaseline on your cheek between each round is something to try (it is messy). You should at least consider a Precision Fit Stock. They are excellent.

If you have a relatively long neck, the problem is more difficult to cure. With a long neck, after you mount your gun you bring your head down and forward. This will increase cheek recoil and probably require a custom stock or a PFS.

Pat Ireland

15. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Head to the Trap range when nobody is there to watch you. Bring along a box of your ugliest throwaway reloads. Stand on the 16yd. line and while picking out points of interest in the field play(let's pretend I'm Trapshooting). Load and fire at these points while focusing of keeping your head on the stock.

Works great for many with this issue!!

16. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

"PULL - BANG - ONE THOUSAND ONE - ONE THOUSAND TWO".. Then dismount..

17. sagepost2

sagepost2 Member

Drew, Like the Nike commercial says "Just do It" Good Luck Gary Phillips

18. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

What bigdogtx said.

When you shoot, even if you break the target, try to pick out a large chip and follow it to the ground as though you were going to shoot at it again.

If you miss, follow the target to the ground as though you were going to shoot at it again.

19. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Mr. Painter,

I recently read Lanny Bassham's book "With Winning In Mind". I believe anyone really into shooting, or improving anything in their life for that matter, should read it. He is a world class and Olympic shooting champion who has developed a system to manage the mental side of the game.

Like you, when I keep my head down, I invariably crush the targets. When I slack up I miss.

I believe Lanny would suggest that instead of focusing on how you have trouble keeping the preverbal wood on the wood, you should tell yourself each time you prepare to fire a shot: "It's LIKE me to keep my head on the stock and follow through".

His philosophy on focusing on what we do well instead of what we do wrong has helped me tons in how I approach each shot and how I view my abilities to break targets in general.

Like the sage Pat Ireland and others have suggested, the fit of your gun has to be important; however, I'd wager that there are tons of us out there who shoot well fitted guns and still have a problem consistently keeping our head down.

Most of us would agree I believe that ours is a very mentally biased sport. His book has helped me work on my pea-brain. Give it a read, it's very concise, easy to digest, and most importantly, makes sense.

All the best,

Guy Babin

20. country gentleman

country gentleman Member

Professional fitting session is the first thing Id do. But then again, im living proof that you can take a gun that is well-fitted and still manage to screw up a perfectly good score. See, Humor never hurts. Todd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.