1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Staying in the Game....Trap Shooting!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by biff, Oct 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. biff

biff Active Member

Fred(Sarge), made an interesting comment on another thread. He said Marksmanship skill is highly perishable if you don't remain active. I used to believe very strongly in that when I raced motorcycles, I felt if I didn't race every weekend my competition would somehow have an advantage the next time we raced. I also felt the same way about trap shooting when I first started that somehow I would lose the ground I had gained for the next time I shot.

I have begun to think differently, especially about shooting my gun for practice. Sometimes when you shoot alot of practice, you can ingrain poor habits if you do the wrong things and get sloppy with your skills. If you shoot alot and continue to make the same mistakes or practice with an ill fitting gun, you are accomplishing very little. If you shoot alot whether in practice or in competition and you make very little progress, it will cause you to experience a level of burn out! Practice, the word sounds like hit or miss to me.....it has been said "perfect practice" makes perfect! Training sounds better, working on weaknesses to improve is what most need.

Do you feel or think you have to shoot many, many rounds in order to stay competitive? What or how much shooting do you feel you need to remain in the game of trapshooting? Thanks, Biff

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Competition in itself is the best practice for me.

Shooting targets on a practice range w/o the competition factor is good, but does not encompass all.

Curt

Tripod thanked this.
  3. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

The "top guns" shoot many thousands of rounds each year. Mostly registered. I agree with Curt that competition is best, but I can't afford the time or cost to shoot registered every week year round. I've also notices the phenomena where taking some time off helps scores. Go figure.

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I can neither afford the "tens of thousands" of rounds at practice or traveling to shoots. I do attend a few shoots a year when physically able. When I "practice" trap shooting, I DO try to work on specific and known problems I have. All that said, however, I find that shooting other disciplines casually helps my shooting well in trap. Examples being practicing the skilled swing to take skeet birds and taking the time to identify birds at sporting clays. With the money issue, a rubber right arm, and a glass back along with aging eyes and all, I've pretty much identified where I fit into this great game and try hard but don't leap off buildings when scores stink.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

5. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Bob, It sounds like you have joined the ranks of the masses. I've always felt that if I were able to shoot the quanity the big dogs shoot I could be competative. Well, time has taken revenge before I ever reached that point. The eyes don't focus as they once did and I think the mind sometimes wanders between shots. Retirement doesn't provide the unlimited funds and the rising prices for everything involved limits participation. Now, it's just as much fun to shoot the breeze on the club house porch then to miss as many targets as I do normally . My average is dropping, the flinches have taken over and I'm seriously considering fishing again. But, after thinking it over, Why drown worms when I can still break some of them birds into beautiful black clouds. Ah, what a site!!

Big Jack

6. otnot

otnot Active Member

I can stay at the level I'm at by only shooting a couple hundred targets a week during the shooting season. But to improve I need to shoot more serious practice rounds. If I take a couple of weeks off I feel rusty for the next couple hundred targets. I do however believe you need to take time off in the winter months and not even shoot a practice round. And as hard as it is not to shoot it makes me hungry to compete again. All athletes have an off season. As I pat my fat belly. LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.