1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

staying in shooting shape in the offseason?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by skeet_man, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I shot today for the 1st time in a month and a half. was only able to manage 4 rounds, with the gun feeling like it weighted 25 lbs LOL (and I shot 9k targets since april so i musta had some decent gun lifting muscles built up @ some point). Any suggestions on how to stay in "shooting shape" over the winter? I don't plan on shooting much as the weather gets colder, but don't want to have to start from scratch again come spring when the gun feels like it weighs 25 lbs again LOL.

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

100 mounts a day at least; with your tournament gun and maybe in a mirror to check your mount routine. Practice getting the gun in the same and appropriate place each time as well as all those lifts.....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Thanks. My thinking was along the same lines, not sure how much to do though, didn't want to do too little and waste the effort, or too much and wear myself out.

4. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Get a Terry Jordon Wall Chart. You accomplish more than just exercise!

milt

5. Surfside6

Surfside6 TS Member

100 Mounts a day with Terry Jordan's wall chart

6. Danny56

Danny56 TS Member

Why not shoot all Winter? A little cold never hurt anyone. Good excuse to get out for a while too.

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Take your bad self to the gym!

These days, athletes at the top of the game do not have an off season. Stay in shape year round. You will shoot better, live longer and be happier.

http://bendershima.com/?cat=13

http://www.dto.com/shooting/article.jsp?articleid=778

8. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

If you were ever in the military do you remember hi-porting. Well do that for 1/2 hour to an hour a day and I'd think lifting your gun won't be a problem next spring.

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Dear Hoggy

Besides spending about 15 hours weekly in the gym, I perform 100 high ports weekly left and right side with 2 17.5 lb weights. I start at the waist and go about 60 degrees up and out with a full extension of my arms.

The shotgun weighs NOTHING when I shoot. The only thing that keeps me from shooting several flats a day at the club is working with shooters or spreading bull chips. LOL

10. 1moreround

1moreround TS Member

Do some arm curls with a kreighoff in one arm and a perazzi in the other while you're waiting to shoot, it'll help keep you warm too....see, nothing to it!!

11. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

I used my Wall Chart a lot in the last week or so trying to make the switch from a Perazzi to the Kreighoff K-80 Trap Special (a new winter project). I had one 24 from 27 yards and the strange new gun felt quite smooth, chart use does make a difference.

Terry.

12. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

basic dumbell routine should keep you better fit than doing nothing. I also highly recomend yoga. It has done wonders for my back and hips. Motocross did a number on my joints and feeling it now. When I do go to the gym I also use the floor pulley on the cable pull. I use a very straight bar. hold simular to shotgun, lift until bar just hits my arm pit. 25lbs 3 sets 25. I highly recomend doing both sides. So far though the best has beed a gun in my hands in the back room. going thru my routine.

13. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

I traveled by car for many years and instead of talking on a cell phone, I bought a padded 8# weight from Wally World and would do reps of 200 curls with each hand while I was on long straight roads between stops. Just a week of this will make a big difference.

14. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Shoot weekly....

Curt

15. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

Typical e-mails I get from new Wall Chart users.

Terry,
    So far, so good with your chart. I'd like to take credit for my shooting , but it has to be the training with your chart. I've been really struggling, REALLY STRUGGLING, since early spring. With handicap scores in the mid-80s from the 20 yard line, I was pretty disgusted, since I was a 25.5 yard shooter just two years ago. It just seemed like nothing worked. Back to basics, professional gun fitting, etc. Everything I could think of except hypnotism!!
    Well, since working with your chart, I shot a 96 & 95 so far & got two puches of 1/2 yard. Not exactly ready to challenge Leo Harrison, but doing & feeling better. I'll keep you posted with additional results.
    I actually got it for the better half, but it seems she needs a little more time with it.

16. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

I try to eat 3 to 4 times a day.

Don

17. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

hey! Round is a shape!

18. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

I'm going with Big Don on this one, I think fried foods and beer are great to help keep me in shape through winter. That way I don't have to wear and can't fit all that bulky clothing that throws my shooting off.

But seriously, these all sound like good ideas to keep you strong and loose at the same time in gun mounted position. I think I will try some of them.
    John Ertel

19. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

more e-mails on results.

Terry,

Just a thank you for your chart. I was not able to shoot for almost a year do to rotator cuff surgery. While waiting to be released by the doctor to shoot used your wall chart to get back in shape as you can see I improved my singles avg by a full 1% to 98 and probably higher as I had one bad shoot where I wasn’t feeling well. Handicap is the best it ever has been and getting better. Thank again for a system that works if you work with it.

20. JimmyP

JimmyP TS Member

If you really want to stay in shooting shape look into the DRYFIRE system. Not only will it keep you used to swinging the gun but it will tell you where you missed or hit at. This will allow your brain to adjust to where you need to be when you pull the trigger. The wall chart is fine but this system takes it to a whole new level. It also allows you to stay in form shooting doubles at a cost of next to nothing. Just my thoughts.

Jimmy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.