1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Staying focused

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by PRD, Jun 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PRD

PRD TS Member

As every trapshooter know trap is a mind thing.I think they must change the name to "Master mind".
    My qeustion is how to stay focussed,exspecially after you lost a few clays.The waiting between the shots is also a problem for me.

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Watch all the birds and make believe you are shooting and breaking them between shots. HMB

3. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

Forget the birds you have missed and the birds that are to come. Concentrate on the "here and now" bird every time. When you think about the target you just missed, or about "I only need to hit the next 4 for my "however many" straight, you've lost your focus and dramatically increase your chances of missing.

At a PITA match at my gun club last month my buddy had missed a bird or two and said to himself "well...i've screwed myself now...I might as well give up".

Well...if he wouldnt have given up he probably would have had a great chance at taking some money home.

To paraphrase some 12-step thingy...ONE BIRD AT A TIME!

4. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

You only have to be focused for five seconds or so at a time when it's you'r turn to shoot. Between shots let you'r mind wander all it wants to, preferably to something (anything) other than shooting.

John C. Saubak

5. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Oh Sure!
    hoggy

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

The more I tell myself to stay focused, the harder it becomes for me to stay focused.

Pat Ireland

7. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Hmmm Let's see. If I could stay focused, not flinch occasionally, never get a charlie horse and a few other things I too could shoot 100 straight every time... lol

hoggy

8. Big Bopper

Big Bopper TS Member

You might want to get one of Lanny Bassham's audio CDs. I can personally recommend "What Every Skeet Shooter Should Know" and "With Winning in Mind."
    Lanny is an Olympic gold medalist, world record holder etc. He also had an international shooting school for several years. Some very good stuff in his CDs and books. Bob

9. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Agree with otnot in that even when you've missed and are "out of it" the challenge is still there. Excellent practice. I think Lanny Bassham has lots of really good stuff to teach us trapshooters however I find it hard to equate bullseye shooting to trap. This game was a lot easier when I thought all I had to do is learn to shoot.

10. HANGFIRE

HANGFIRE Member

Big Bopper or anybody , where can i get a copy of Lenny Bassher , With Winning In Mind. I looked at EBay and nada -- Thanks

11. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

It seems to me that the more you practice fundamentals the less reason you have to stay focused . The basics should be of paramount importance . Tne mount, the lock up, the view of the field prior to calling for the target, and the move to the target. If ALL the above is in place "staying focused" should be easy .

12. D&H@777

D&H@777 TS Member

hangfire

Try this site

http://www.lannybassham.com/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

staying focased in trap shooting