1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Staying Focused

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Uncle Screech, May 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uncle Screech

Uncle Screech Member

For the past few years I have been a "casual" ATA shooter, mostly just attened shoots if they were close by, if friends were going to go or a chance to shoot at a club I normally wouldn't go to. That kind of thing... This year everything worked out so that I could attend the Ohio State shoot so I commited myself to going to as many shoots as I could so if nothing else I wouldn't be penalized when I got there. So far that part of the plan is working just fine. Here's my question, I have been squadded (is that a real word?) with quite a variety of people over the past couple months. Shooters who have shot the back of the house because they had their finger on the trigger as they mounted the gun, shooters who could never seem to have a shell in the chamber before it was their turn, shooters who kept forgetting they had one of those annoying automatic safeties, shooters who are just plain SLLLLLLLOOOOOWWWWWWW. And through it all I keep getting frustrated, not with them but with me. I can't seem to block it out, ignore it and it has a really bad effect on my scores. How do you guys handle it when you're "in the moment"? What things do you do to calm yourself down and get back to "just your birds"?

Thanks in advance,

Greg Sliker

2. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

That will be the key to your success. You can only control what you do and what others do may be something that they consider routine. It has no measure on your game really.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You have to find 4 guys to shoot with that know what they are doing. You squad with them and everything will be fine. HMB

4. Masterplan

Masterplan TS Member

play tour favorite music

5. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

If you are thinking, you are not concentrating enough to call pull.

6. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Too much thinking. You shouuldn't be worrying about what everyone else is doing. You only really need to concentrate for a few seconds at a time anyway, that is when it is your turn to shoot. Besides, it is good practicebecause you never know who you might be squadded with. John

7. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

I find, in situations like the ones you describe, that if I make a routine that takes a certain length of time, other shooters don't bother me. For instance, make sure your feet are perfectly positioned, choke tubes are in tight, get out the first shell and put it in the gun perfectly aligned with the receiver, put the gun on your toe or pad, look up at the house and watch the bird being shot. By now it should be your turn. Pick up and close your gun, inhale as you mount it, then start to exhale as you call through your exhale. Shoot the bird as your diaphragm reaches a neutral position, and break the bird. Repeat as necessary. CONGRATULATIONS! You are now one of those shooters that others complain about, but who cares? You are paying for the birds, and the other shooters idiosyncracies won't bother you at all!

8. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Repeat over and over: "Dear Lord, Give me patience....and I want it right NOW!" Regards, Ed

9. dhip

dhip Active Member

I find it hard enough to concentrate 25 times in a row.I swear I think I have Adult Attention Deficit Disorder.Let alone pay attention to others.I do my best NOT to pay attention,look straight a head,NOT thinking.Other than maybe counting after I shoot,1,2,3,4, birds,MY turn.Believe it or not,I think trying out my first gun with a release has helped.Added one more step,set trigger,before I call for the bird.Took me 1 1/2 years to run my first 25,only three months with this release trigger.Hope to see more and bigger straights before I buy the gun.Thank goodness the friend that's selling it to me gave me an unlimited time to try out the gun.LMAO,,I think it's sold(to me) already,just haven't let him know yet.

Doug H.

10. Laserwizard

Laserwizard Member

A good squad is priceless that's for sure, but when you're in that shootoff, you have to deal with what (who) God gives you. You don't choose who it is, you just have to deal with it. He/She may be the most annoying shooter in the world, but you need to be able to look past their issues and play your game.

I learned a long time ago that getting riled up because I think a fellow shooter should do something a different way, or a faster way or whatever, just distracts me and has a negative impact on my score.

I simply accept my fellow shooters for what they are no matter how strange I think they are. They may think the same thing about me, that's OK.

I'll close the gun two shooters ahead of my turn and take a breathe and relax for a few seconds. Focus on my grip (both hands), my stance, how I'm breaking the targets and by then it's time to smoke the next target, then it starts all over again.

You watched me do it today, it works for me. I shoot my game, nobody elses.

Learn to tune out everyone else, and their issues, and you'll be breaking those high scores that you shoot every Saturday at Urbandale.

11. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Look at those delays as an opportunity to regather energy, then when it is your shot turn on the focus and shoot THAT one target. Those delays can be a refresher if you utilize the benefit instead of seeing only the negative.

12. Uncle Screech

Uncle Screech Member

Thank you to all who replied, appreciate it.

A good friend of mine reminded me that "Expectations are just pre-planned resentments" and that is what I am doing. Expecting 4 other people to behave as I want them to and getting frustrated when they don't, (the bas**rds). I have been shooting and learning from some very good, very experienced shooters and their "routine" is fast. When I pull the trigger it's darn near time for me to shoot again type fast. When you get done with a round with those 2 guys you are sweating (almost wrote swearing which would also be correct). That is the pace I have gotten used to. When someone is slow I just want to grab them by the ears and yell "It's round, it's orange, it hasn't changed and won't change. Call for the d**n bird and shoot it!!!"

In Laserwizards response, (and others), is at least my short term answer. I need to find a pre-shot routine that lets me focus on just what I am doing and takes just enough time to get back around to my turn. Maybe I even need a couple different routines to use depending on the pace of the squad. In the meantime I can work on accepting that this is just how it is.

And Laser, thanks again. I did watch your rounds yesterday and admire your calm demeanor which is why I talked to you about it. It's all about patience and my request is in, marked URGENT, HANDLE NOW NOW NOW.

Again, thank you all.

Greg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.