1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Status of Gun Industry Supply & Demand

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by sarah391, Feb 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sarah391

sarah391 TS Member

Dec 17, 2012
    Doug Ross has several important info updates about the status of the gun industry followed by an inventory update. We traveled to Texas for Industry meetings concerning the shortages, here's what we were told:

Smith & Wesson-is running at Full capacity making 300+ guns/day-mainly M&P pistols. They are unable to produce any more guns to help with the shortages.

RUGER: Plans to increase from 75% to 100% in the next 90 days.

FNH: Moving from 50% production to 75% by Feb 1st and 100% by March 1. Remington-Maxed out!

Armalite: Maxed out.

DPMS: Can't get enough parts to produce any more product.

COLT: Production runs increasing weekly...bottle necked by Bolt carrier's.

LWRC:Making only black guns, running at full capacity...can't get enough gun quality steel to make barrels.

Springfield Armory: Only company who can meet demand but are running 30-45 days behind.

AMMO: Every caliber is now allocated! We are looking at a nation wide shortage of all calibers over the next 9 months. All plants are producing as much ammo as possible with 1 BILLION rounds produced weekly. Most is military followed by law enforcement, and civilians are third in line.

MAGPUL is behind 1 MILLION mags, do not expect any large quantities of magpul anytime soon.

RELOADERS... ALL Remington, Winchester, CCI & Federal primers are going to ammo FIRST. There are no extra's for reloading purposes... it could be 6-9 months before things get caught up. Sorry for the bleak news, but now we know what to expect in the coming months. Stay tuned, we'll keep you posted.

Bow Owens says they didn't know when they'd be getting anything back in stock, from magazines to rifles to pistols. Manufacturers were running full-bore, but couldn't come close to keeping up with market demand. It wasn't just the AR-15s, the AK-pattern rifles, the M1As, and the FALs that were sold out. It really hit me when I realized that the World War II-era M1 Garands, M1 carbines, and Enfield .303s were gone, along with every last shell.

Ubiquitous Mosin-Nagants -- of which every gun store always seems to have 10-20 -- were gone. So was their ammo. Only a dust-free space marked their passing. I've never seen anything like it.

Every weapon of military utility designed within the past 100+ years was gone. This isn't a society stocking up on certain guns because they fear they may be banned. This is a society preparing for war.

Barack Obama, Dianne Feinstein and the rest of the Statists have done more to promote gun ownership than the NRA ever did. Well done, Democrats.
  2. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    My great hope is that a lot of people with no dog in this fight have just purchased their first firearm, and now have an attitude about some government agency threatening to register them, take it or whatever.
  3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Funny...I see a lot of people who just purchased their first gun looking at it a year from now and, for any of a number of reasons, wondering why the heck they bought the damned thing in the first place. Thousand of guns filter out onto the open market through undocumented person-to-person sales and thefts of ignored, unsecured weapons, the retail market is also flooded with used stuff, gun crimes rise and the gun manufacturing industry suffers a period of depressed sales.

4. 548

548 Guest

I agree completely Keller. Every boom is followed by a bust.
  5. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Unknown1: I don't disagree with your view but did not see that happen with Oboble heads 1st election and now seems to be getting stronger (ie more gun sales). Maybe "if" we get through this mess some will start disposing of their panic bought guns, and like you, I just hope those DON'T wind up out on the streets. Ross Puls
  6. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Oxford MA
    "Thousand of guns filter out onto the open market through undocumented person-to-person sales and thefts of ignored, unsecured weapons"

If that is true tell us why the proposed legislation doesn't require a seller to do it through a FFL. We are only talking about just a paper change???? They didn't do that because they want you to sell direct to another party so your guns will be on a list. So they know who has guns and what guns they have

By requiring background checks with out the FFL the ownership must be listed so they know who is selling what to whom. So your gun will be followed as it changes hands. Gun registration pure and simple.

Bob Lawless
  7. Brad Dysinger

Brad Dysinger Member

Jan 29, 1998
    I talked to Devon Harris {from Federal}at the SHOT show, he said the industry used to worry about selling what they make, now they worry about making what they sold. No sign of it letting up on the retail level, at least here in Ohio. Even Wall Mart has put 3 box limit on ammo, any ammo including shot gun shells.

Everyone in the shell industry that I talked with had their plants running balls to the walls, 18 months worth of production is spoken for, they were some what worried about raw materials. Brad
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.