1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Statistics//Golf vs Trap

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by melie, Mar 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. melie

melie Guest

I heard a statistic that stated that only 10% of all
    golfers ever shoot under 90. This, naturally, got me thinking about trap
    shooting. Are there any statistics related to how many trap shooters
    ever shoot a "25 straight" or a "50 straight" and so forth?
    My best, so far, is a "50 straight" and my ego wonders what percentile that
    would put me in?

Thank you,
    Mark

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The winner of last weeks golf tournament won $954,000. How is that for a statistic to compare to trap shooting. HMB

3. Robb

Robb Member

good point.

4. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

The difference between pro and the Amateur. The A.T.A. remember the first letter stands for???

Could you play in the same golf tournament? You can shoot the Grand by being a dues paying member and the cost to shoot just show up.

Rock

Jim

5. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

$954,000 is a lot of money. When a Trap tournement can attract the tv coverage, audience and sponsorship that golf does then we may have a shot at that kind of money. Sadly we all know that's never going to happen.

Eric

6. drunk_again

drunk_again TS Member

amatures can play in the MASTERS, U.S.OPEN and the British Open, so rock doesnt know all the facts.

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Eric,

Take a look in the back of the Sporting Clays magazine. Lots of touraments listed there with large prize funds. $80,000 added money, $60,000 added money, $50,000 cash and trophies regardless of number of entries. To name a few. HMB

8. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

Our golf league... actually....shoots trap in the Winter..out of 10...3 of us have had a 25 straight...One guy twice...in our 1st 2 years! We love it....something to do in the Winter.I'm looking at ATA and summer shooting because it's hard to shoot when it's 2 below zero.But then....I will need different padding......one nice thing about Winter (equivelent to 5 Reactor pads)

9. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

P.S. the average golfer can't break a score of 100....Fact

10. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

P.S P.S. ....I would wager my first born that Tiger Woods or Phil Mickelson could break 25 straight in a week....16yd.......hand/eye coordination.

11. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

played golf from the time i was 11 till i was 26. been shooting for the last 8 yrs since i quit golf. at one point i was a 6 handicap in golf. golf is much more difficult than trap.

brett d.

12. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

6 handicap is GREAT.......I'm a 20........why did u quit?

13. melie

melie Guest

I find many parallels with golf and trap.
    But, what about the statistics of trap?
    Stay focused.

14. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

quit because i bought a house and was working 6 and 7 days a week. didn't have the time to practice and scores started going up. got very frustrating. i also live in western ny, which means it's a short season to begin with. i'm 34 now, and married. i have a 2 yr. old son, and later on down the line, if he's interested i may play again. not to brag, but i could hit the ball off the tee pin straight about 320 yds. or so. that was with a 12 deg. Yamaha that i still have. out my back door to the road is about 300. every once in awhile i'll tee one up and see if i can bounce it off the road. lol. God i hate that game........

brett d.

15. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

HMB,

Aside from the fact that $80k is a long way from $954k, I wonder who's putting up the added money for those SC shoots? Why does SC get it and not trap or even skeet? What is the NSCA doing that the ATA is not?

Personally I think the NSCA leadership is more aggresive in going after corporate/industry financial backing. If you think trap is expensive compare the average $25/100 for registered trap targets to the $65+ for the same 100 registered SC targets.

At my club (Markham) our SC arm has no problem getting 100+ SC shooters out for a tournament at $65 each for 100 targets, conversely, if we 40+ trap shooters out for an ATA shoot it's a small miracle.

One thing I have noticed is that on balance the SC shooters seem to be younger than trap shooters. Like most of us looking at this game, I have no answers, only questions.

Eric

16. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Big money (also big entry fees) attract a different group of players. Not much glamor or incentive to upper income individuals to spend a day shooting at a grungy gun club for no money and two-bit prizes, ATA or not.

The Las Vegas program for their up-coming shoot is innovative and should attract some serious competition.

17. clayslayer21

clayslayer21 TS Member

Golf is much more difficult than trap. The last season I played "full-time" I was a single digit handicap. I hvae some friends that took up shooting clays regularly so it cut into my golf practice and playing. If you want to play golf well you have to practice year round. Trap is not nearly that demanding. For instance, I got a new shotgun for Christmas, took it out to the range and broke 25 straight with little effort. And it is not even a trap gun...I just wanted to shoot it at some clays.
    If I do not go to the driving range weekly, hit putts at home daily and chip in the yard...my golf game suffers quickly.
    I think the hand-eye coordination that I developed from years of golf helped me to become a fairly decent shooter in a short time even though I took it up at age 40. I had not fired a shotgun in nearly 15 years when a friend invited me to go to a trap range. I was quickly breaking 21-23 targets.

18. 1atatime

1atatime TS Member

Amateurs CAN play in a number of golf tournaments, but whether they MAY is another matter.

The Masters invites only a handful of amateurs, including the US Amateur, US Public Links Champion, US Mid and Senior Amateur Champions, US Senior Open Champion (has always been a pro)low amateur at the US (and I think British) Opens the prior year (if any... there may be no amateur who made the cut at the Opens), and (I think) the British Amateur Champion. The Masters used to offer an exemption to all Walker Cup members, but I thnk that has been stopped. I'm not sure if the current NCAA Champion is invited. All of these guys are really good, and will average below par at their home course.

The USGA allows anyone with a 2 handicap or less to attempt to qualify for the US Open. There are several "Local Open Qualifying" events all over the US. At most locations, you will be competing with several PGA Tour players who are not exempt. There may be as few as 1 or as many as 5 or 6 spots at each local. If you qualify, you go to another qualifier to compete for ths actual spot in the Open. Rarely will anything more than a few under par qualify. There are only a total of 144 spots for the US Open, so the number of qualifiers depends on the number of players who are exempt into the tournament. There are literally thousands of golfers who try for Open spots. There are usually less than 20 available.

As for PGA tournaments, amateurs cannot attempt to qualify. They may recieve a "sponsor's exemption", however. Usually these are for local amateur hotshots who might bring a little extra attendance. The most common sponsor's exemption the past few years has been for Michelle Wie. She began getting exemptions at age 13. She is now 17, has never made a cut and her performance has gone from marginal to poor.

The PGA Championship, the Tournament Players Championship and the World Championships do not allow amateurs at all.

I don't know the qualifying criteria for teh British Open, but I know amateurs may attempt to qualify in a similar fashion to the US Open. For sure the US and British Open Champions are invited.

19. smartass

smartass TS Member

Mark, that would put you in the 13th percentile.

20. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

Mark: Maybe the 50th percentile? That's my guess. I doubt you could find statistics on the number of trap shooters who have ever shot a 50-straight or 100-straight at 16 yards. Much shooting is unregistered, and so by definition is unknown. I think the only numbers you could come up with would be the singles averages of all those who shoot in the Grand, or of those registered in the ATA/PITA, then guess from there. I'd think those numbers would be relatively easy to come by. Phil E

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

content