1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Station One

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Franktri, Feb 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Franktri

Franktri Member

I am a left-handed shooter and am having problems with birds to the left from station one. Is it more difficult for lefies to shoot to the left than to the right? Any suggestions?

2. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Are ya shooting skeet or trap?

3. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

Its the same for a right handed shooter from position 5 on the hard rights. I moved my feet more to the right (closing up my stance) and it allows me to swing better on the right hand bird, maybe if you close up your stance from position 1 and hold off the front corner of the house, you may be able to swing a little better.

jm2c

Oscar

4. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

It's easier to pull your head off the comb and if your head's off if your head's going one way and the shotgun another the results will probably be random.

5. undersluice

undersluice Member

I am a right handed shooter and station#1 is my nemisis too ! Surprisingly, hard rights from station#5 are a non-issue for me.

After weeks of trying to figure it out and shooting the trap locked on hard lefts, what I have learned is that I don't see see the bird coming out very well, when I get a hard left. It gets a jump on me most of the time and we all know its downhill from there !!

I work harder to focus my head and eyes on station#1, hold really low and inside the left edge of the house. I also make sure that I stay on to the stock when I swing for a hard left. These changes have helped me.

Thanks,
    JB

6. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Touble with left birds from sta 1 would indicate to me that maybe you are arm shooting instead of geting a good body move. Swinging with the arms will move the gun away from your face. Drive with your eyes. let the gun follow.
    I'm a lefty

Bob

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

JB, Sounds like your hold point could be the cause of your problems on Post 1. You want a hold point that lets you see the target with your right eye. Try holding on or a little below the target line, 3 to 4 feet to the left of the left front corner of the house. HMB

8. 7remmag

7remmag Member

As a lefty as well I also had trouble with hard lefts on station one. Practice helped a great deal but I also started holding slightly off the left side of the house. This meant that if I had a hard right I would have to get on it faster but that didn't prove to be too hard. I was also told that my stance was too wide, so I put my feet closer together and now the only reason I miss hard lefts on station one is if they dive from the wind.

Kyle

9. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

In your follow through, you have a tedency to swing the gun AWAY from your face; swinging right for RH shooters, and swinging left for LH shooters.

So, two thing to consider:<BR>
    1. The gun MIST fit you, and<BR>
    2. MAKE SURE you FOLLOW THROUGH the shot.

WW

10. JPSemper

JPSemper Member

As a fellow lefty, I know what you're going through. I hold about a foot off the left corner on station 1. If a hard left comes outi find I can get ahead of it more often than not. I also have my stance a bit turned left as well. Whiz is right. Keep your head on tne stock and follow through.

Good luck.

John Semprini

11. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Hold point is the key, if your a LH shooter at post one you might try turning your body so the outside of your right hip is in line with the left back corner of the trap house. Hold on the back to front corner left side and call for the bird, rights will be a slight gun move and left will be easier as you'll be pushing the gun in to your cheek as you follow the target eliminating taking the gun off your cheek.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.