1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Station 1 Hard Left & Staton 5 Hard Right

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Mac V, Mar 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mac V

Mac V Guest

If I could help you with your problem long-distance, I'd be making a fortune, but...

Every time I have trouble with these 2 targets it's because I begin to include the bead in my visual picture just before the trigger pull in an attempt to verify that my lead is adequate and in doing that, I stop the gun. I've had a very good shooter watch me and he's isolated that error in MY technique. Being right-handed, I do this more often with shoots from 5 than from 1.

Mike

2. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Check your foot placement. A right hand shooter needs to "close" their stance on station #5 and use a more "open" stance on station #1. By this I mean turn the left lead foot more to the right on #5 and move the gun more to the center of the house where you can recognize the target coming out more quickly... the oposite for #1 - open the lead foot more to the left. Also, you may want to hold a lower gun to the lip of the house to recognize the target more quickly. Finally, go to some place where they will set the trap machine to throw hard lefts and rights and just practice 50 birds + at these angles. Good luck. Fred

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Easy targets if you shoot skeet. the lead is a lot less than a Station 4 target, only about 2/3 as much.

Fred is right, repeated shooting of a problem target should fix it.

HM

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

First thing you have to do is convince yourself those targets aren't that hard at all. Your compounding the problem in your own mind and know different because at one time they weren't? It sure sounds like the classic wild arm swing to catch those rascals? Good advice above about shooting the problem stations and back to the basics of good gun and body fundamentals at the same time. Make the upper body/gun act as a single unit, ONLY the eyes move independently to pick up and track those birds, the gun will catch up pretty quick.

To convince yourself those angles ain't that tough, get back to the basics of real gun/body control. Step off the side of 1 and 5 and shoot some even tougher angles after working on the basics! Then, those from the pad will seem like the slight angles they are? Hap

5. hawk57

hawk57 TS Member

Give both of those targets one barrel width lead (@16). It fixed my issue.

6. mecman

mecman TS Member

Sounds crazy but it works here's what i do and i shoot very consistant. wood on wood(head tight on stock) stretch neck forward on stock this eliminates lifting of your head to try to catch up to the birds swing thru and slap the trigger

7. Scott Thompson

Scott Thompson TS Member

When I miss these, 90% of the time it is because I hurry and panic. It's like I feel the target is getting away from me when in reality it is not. No need to rush. On the other hand, sometimes I get lazy on the straight ones and drop a target there. When I am disciplined, see target - shoot target, it's like I can't miss.

Maybe not a lot of help but I sure do sympathize with you. There are days on the practice range that I can't seem to break anything. I feel like Kevin Costner in "Tin Cup" when he gets the shanks. Maybe you need to put all your change in your left pocket, turn your hat around, and stick a golf tee behind your ear.

--Scott T

8. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Make sure you are really following through. I know that I have a tedancy to sometimes stop full follow through. Let us know what works.

9. webman

webman TS Member

Scott I have to agree with you that when I miss a hard right or left it is because of target panic. I am working on slowing down moving the gun to the target. To do this I have to obtain the target first with my eyes and then move to the it with the gun. Yesterday in practice I was making dust ball of the hard rights and hard lefts. Amazing what you can do when you see the target and shoot the target.

10. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

If your a RH shooter, open your stance on Station 1.(Toes more parallel to back of house) It will allow your body to swing easier. Hold closer to the edge of the house. Use a hard focus for that hard left target, and a soft focus for all other targets at that station, as they are easier to get the gun on, and you'll have more time for them. On station 5, same deal only pull your right foot back (toes line up with right front corner of house +/-) Hard focus on hard right. It' all about setting your body and vision up for your toughest target.

11. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

It's the same, only reverse the setup. Always set your body and vision up for your hardest shot at each station. When I'm on Stations 1 and 5 I always set my stance up for the hardys. If you don't, you'll fight your own body as your torso "twist" to make the swing. It's a torso movement, not an arm swing movement. Watch for the hardright on 1 and hardleft on 5, and let your "soft vision" pick up the other targets.

12. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

Skeet2day,

As A skeet shooter,

Did you ever mount the gun at or a little past where you want to break the target,

And then swing back to your start point?

So your body is primed to move on the bird.

Try that set up on posts 1 and 5, it is still an easy move to get that near staight away, and your swing is all setup for that hard (?) Angle.

I am just starting to get away from this setup on post 5, it was sure comforting to have the confidence, that the hardright was nothing more then letting swing happen!

Al

13. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

ctreay - your response is unsubstanciated BS and you know it. Please give us the name of the top shooter who cheats and which shoot you saw them cheating.

14. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

10-1 you are lifting you head and peaking. You are then out of the gun and spray it all over the place.

wood on wood

bottom line

15. KK

KK TS Member

Swing with your upper body not your arms. Station 1: open the stance with left foot pointed at the approximate place you would expect to break the target and swing through the target. Station 5, again swing with the body not the arms and most of all keep your head in the gun. A hard right from station 5 will give you the tendency to pull you head away from or off the stock as you swing right. Concentrate on the swing and keeping your face firmly on the stock through the swing, shot and follow through. Stance is nearly closed with body nearly perpendicular to the field. If your stance is correct and you feel like you are "on" the targets but they are not breaking for you, the problem lies in pulling your head away from or off of the stock as you swing. KK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

hard left from station 1