1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Station 1 and 2 Problems

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rich219, Jun 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Station 1 and 2 are giving me some serious problems, station 1 more so than station 2. Any drills or ideas to work on shooting these stations better?

I'd say over 60% of my misses are from station 1 or 2.

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

May be a vision problem, which eye dominant? Stopping the gun, poor fit, taking cheek off the stock, shooting too fast, aiming; lots of possibilities.....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

3. tinylo

tinylo TS Member

you missing hard lefts? or everything on 1 & 2?

If it's just the lefts, opening up my stance on 1 & 2 got me swinging easier and hitting targets much better...

4. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Check your stance. If you are only missing the hard lefts you may need to open your stance somewhat to allow for more swing........working on the same issue myself.

5. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

" May be a vision problem, which eye dominant? Stopping the gun, poor fit, taking cheek off the stock, shooting too fast, aiming; lots of possibilities.....breakemall.....Bob Dodd "

I'm right eye dominant and a one eyed shooter.

The gun fits well and I don't believe I'm taking my head off of the stock.

It might be that I'm shooting too fast but probably not.

6. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

It's not hard lefts that I'm only missing. I'm just missing targets on station 1, and not just certain targets. Plain and simple, I'm just missing on station 1 and 2.

I have a very open stance on 1 so I definitely have the free range of motion to hit the hard lefts.

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

A very open stance on posts 1 and 2 will make it easier for one to swing his arms to the left. A more closed stance may make it easier to swing your body to the left. Putting a little pressure on your little toe will make it easier to swing your body to the left. If you are swinging your arms and not your body, that could be the problem. Body swing and stance can be tested standing on a floor at home without a gun.

Holding a little lower gun will help some see the target sooner. It is also rather easy to convince yourself that you have a problem from any post. If you do that, you will have a mental problem from that post and it will cost you a lot of birds. Shooting 25-50 birds, by yourself from post one might be good practice.

Pat Ireland

8. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Try being a little more aggressive. Shift weight a little more forward and slow down a beat. Quit worrying about it.

Don

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

No way that we can tell what the problem is. Best thing to do is have one of the better shooters at the range watch you shoot. Maybe he will be able to spot what you are doing wrong. HMB

10. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Try holdong on the CENTER of the house. The reason is simple - when you do this, everything is a left angle or a straight-away! There are no right angle targets. This eliminates the tendency to "trap" targets by spot shooting the soft angles.

Also, open your stance, if you are right-handed or do the opposite if a lefty. This really works!

11. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I didn't read all the posts here but what I would do is just practic on those stations only. Shoot a box of shells and or more on just those stations till you feel good about them.

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

birdogs, I sent you a PM guy. Hap

13. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I'm also a right eyed..one eye shooter.. Lock the trap on your hardest to hit target..from your hardest to hit station.. Point your left toe slightly past where you want to break the target..(if its a left hand target) To get additional right sided swing..move your right toe past where you want to break the right target).. A line drawn across your left and right foot should point to the approx. place you want target break to occur..(left targets). Right targets your right toe should point beyond where you break the target) Drop your hold point to see the target better.. Keep your gun moving..DON'T stop your swing.. It will come.. In trap.. when gun fit is correct.. your swing,your foot position,your hold points,all come in to play.. That notebook I tell everyone to get.. THIS is the VALUABLE information to put into it.. and draw diagrams once you find something that works.. All Good.. Mike

14. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I'm going to take my video camera out to the club the next time I'm there and see if I'm stopping the gun.

The stance and hold point are perfect and I believe gun fit is also good.

15. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

One other thing you might want to check out make sue you are not moving your gun until you see the target and not moving it on your call. Some times when you are having trouble with a particular station. Or a particular target you will have a tendency to move to soon because you wish to get a jump on the target.

Focus the target and when you are locked on then make your normal move to the target. you never know the little extra pressure of have trouble with a certain target/station can cause you to move to soon.

Bob Lawless

16. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Your stance, gun fit, mount, hold and follow thru can be perfect. If you bead check you'll miss, if you raise your head to see if you broke the bird you will miss, if your last thought before pulling the trigger is the last bird you missed you will miss again.

Robert

17. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I agree with bob. I was moving my gunand this was causing me to have problems on these two posts.

18. SilverShooter

SilverShooter TS Member

for me, any left birds on station 1 and 2 were caused by the same problem in that I spot shot them and stopped my gun. When i missed i was always behind the bird. For all the other stations, i would swing thru except 1 and 2. Was it mental, a body physical thing or an eye problem? -- who knows but I solved it by parking my butt on 1 and 2 for 500+ shots till it was not a problem.

I was surprised to learn that there really was a significant and large sweet spot as long as I always shot to the left of the bird, and that I could lead the bird a lot or a little depending on the speed of my swing. In brief, as long as you are to the left of a left bird, your chances of breaking it improve significantly.

19. bluedevil

bluedevil Active Member

Pat has the answer for my post 1 problems. I actually closed my stance a little so my body was moving not the arms. I also slowed down, I have a nasty habit of trying to smoke em right out of the house, no good so I am really working at slowing down.

20. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

If you really want to fix the problem, stand on one and two with a case of shells. Shoot until you fix the problem. Take lots of time between shots and analyze each one before you go to the next. That's the only thing that works for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.