1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Static making powder flakes a mess

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by leadhead358, Jan 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leadhead358

leadhead358 Member

I am having trouble with static making some the the powder flakes drop from the powder tube late and making a mess by the end of the day. The powder is not coming from the charge bar or anywhere else. I have seen to use a dryer sheet for the static. My question is where do you put it? On top of the powder in the powder tube? Is there any other way to get rid of the static? Thanks Tom

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You can try grounding the reloader. HMB

3. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

Spray with static guard

4. smokeater6844

smokeater6844 Member

Tom

I used to shoot with a guy that would take a dryer sheet and cut a strip about 1" wide from it. He then would roll or fold the strip small enough to run it down through the powder drop tube a couple of times before loading on his MEC. "Remove sheet before loading" I have never had a problem with static electricity causing a problem but my friend was concerned about the powder building up in the tube and then dropping a heavy charge. I would take it seriously if I had any powder sticking around where it didn't belong. The dryer sheet seemed to work for my friend. Hope it helps.

Brian "Robbies Dad"

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I hang a strip of the sheet in the powder bottle and use the little red cap to hold it. You just have to be a little dextrous when you fill it the first time.

HM

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

A humidifier is about the best solution. If you "ground" a loader, be sure to put a 1 MegOhm 1/4 or 1/2 Watt resistor in series as a current limiting device for safety. Grounding a loader never seemed to do the trick for me. A simple humidifier has eliminated the issues for me. Static Guerd, Dryer Sheets, and products of that category, just don't seem to solve the problem that well.

7. JRW

JRW Member

You just need some of the stike anywhere matches. They will help clean up the powder. LOL Jerry

8. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Quack Shot is dead on the money. Humidify the air and your static problems are no more.

ss

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I use the bottles used for shot to eliminate static. The dirtier the bottle, the better. Rotate bottles, new bottle for shot. When it gets stained, it will not have a static issue.

10. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I've "fixed" plastic powder funnels by wiping them inside and out with a dryer sheet, works like magic! You wouldn't be able to wipe the inside of a powder bottle but I wonder if it might work to just wipe down the outside of the bottle?

John C. Saubak

11. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Shooting Coach - Maybe that is why I never had a static problem.

Old Cowboy - I can understand how wiping down the inside might help. Beats the heck out of me how wiping down the outside helps.

Old Cowboy - have you ever considered warming the dryer sheet up a bit in the dryer before you wiped down the inside?

12. leadvail

leadvail Member

I have taken static sheets from my wife's laundry room and wrapped one around the bottle and used rubber bands to hold it on. Has worked for me that I keep my powder bottle's wrapped all the time. I don't know why, but it was with 700x.

13. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

leadvail , If you are wrapping the sheets around the outside of the bottle it is doing nothing. If it is working for you, you didn't have a problem in the first place. It was imaginary, same as all other "static problems."

14. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

creeker , Was their powder sticking to the phone?

15. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Wash out the bottles with dish soap & water, about a teaspoon to a quart or so of water, and don't rinse it off & just let it dry with a slight soap film. No more static.

Bob

16. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

PS. Don't recommend the above for phones!

Bob

17. whopper1

whopper1 Member

Shooting coach is on the money with his solution. Same thing happened with me two days ago. I switched the bottles (used the shot bottle for powder). Seems that the coating on the inside of the bottle prevents the static.

Dave

18. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

JerryP:

Last week I loaded two odd lots of heavy hunting shells. Powder and lead charges were individually hand measured and every reloading step was done in batches.

Before seating wads, I noticed powder flakes clinging all over the inside of each hull. I tapped the hulls on my loading table but that didn't work. The flakes were knocked down but immediately jumped back up on the interior walls. So... I vigorously wiped the exterior of each hull with a Bounce dryer sheet.

You and I both know static is an 'imaginary' issue, but a Bounce dryer sheet makes for a nice 'imaginary' solution.

I think it's a placebo effect. It works because I told the hulls and powder that it SHOULD work. Anyway, the little powder flakes were happier in the bottom of the hulls when I got done.

sissy

19. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

mrskeet410,

Something for you to ponder.........is the static just on the inside surface of the plastic powder bottle or is it IN the plastic?

20. leadhead358

leadhead358 Member

Thanks for the help guys, but I found out today it is not static but running the reloader cycles too quick. Dixie at Spolar called me and told me I was cycling the reloader too quick to slow down to 3 secounds when cycling that the powder is not done dropping when the drop tubes comes out of the hull. Thanks for all your help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.