1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

????static issues with plastic powder bottle??????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ricks1, Nov 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

try a Quart beer bottle I think that is same thread.Colt 45 Ithink is still clear[wouldnt drink contents] rick

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Use the dirty bottle you put shot in. This works for me. Rotate them as they stain.

3. 12Gagejon

12Gagejon Member

might try grounding loader too Jon

4. Buster 25

Buster 25 Member

Matt:
    Good question, I have the same problem.
    Tryed grounding the MEC at the base...Not much help.
    Anyone else out there know what to do??

5. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Empty your powder bottle of all powder and either roll some shot around in it (make sure shot has been coated with graphite), or sprinkle a bit of straight graphite into the bottle and swirl it around to get rid of the static charge.

Adding a bit of humidity in the air, for those of you in the drier areas, will help cut down on static electricity.

ec90t

6. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

I've utilize used dryer sheets attached to a pistol cleaning rod adapted to take a 12 ga. cleaning patch holder to wipe the inside of the MEC plastic powder bottle. Also, I've put dryer sheets rubber banded to the outside of the powder bottle; you can still see the powder level as you're reloading. I've also put powdered (dry) graphite on the sheets and do the inside of the MEC powder bottle. No powder issues even when I have other static issues in the house. And by the way, before I ever handle powder, I touch my steel post basement support to discharge any static. Also, I have no carpet in my loading area. That seems to work for me. Now for metalic reloading, I've replaced the plastic tube on my RCBS uniflo powder measure with a stainless steel tube that I had made for me at storage tank supplier. No static with using it; since you can't see through it, I made a gauge to indicate the powder level. Darrell

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Are a few flakes of powder clinging to the bottle sides really a problem? Why not just fill the bottle up again and ignore the few flakes?

Ground the machine will not solve the problem. The plastic bottles are non-conductors. One sure solution is wait till Spring. Then there will be more water in the air and the problem disappears.

Pat Ireland

8. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Why is it a problem?

9. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

Dryer Sheets work wonders here in the not so dry Southen California sun!..COld spell hit today...down to 71 in the mountains..76 on the coast..had to break out my sweat shirt!.....LB

10. trapshootingfran

trapshootingfran TS Member

go to Radio Skack and purchase an Anti Static strap and use it when you reload. It worked for me. I had so much static electricty in my house I was afraid to touch my reloader in fear of a spark would igniting the powder. Ground the reloader and ground yourself with the strap.
    FRAN

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

The static in the bottle don't bother near as much as it does in the hulls! Static in the hulls help that flying powder burn them up much faster during ignition. I now store my hulls in cardboard boxes along with a few of those dryer sheets and it helped a lot. Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.