1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Static Cling

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by JRW, Apr 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRW

JRW Member

I am having trouble with powder (green dot) clinging to inside of hull. When I pull hull off loader to check powder drop, after pouring powder into scale many flakes left in hull. Is this something to worry about? Can I do anything to the hulls to stop this? Thanks Jerry in MI. PS using AA hulls once fired.

2. gordy h

gordy h Member

The Mec rep told me to put a dryer sheet in the top of my powder bottle. the same one my wife uses in the clothes dryer

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Any form of anti static sheet should work or you could just wait another week or so. By then the air will be warmer and hold more moisture and the problem will disappear until next winter.

Pat Ireland

4. JRW

JRW Member

If it wasn't for friends, I would be lost. Tron Birmingham Monday I will check my shirt befor I put it on. Pat it is a good thing for you I do not have that mod 12 or 42 in my safe right now.

Thanks to all the other responses. Jerry

5. tom-n8ies

tom-n8ies Member

I used to have off sounding shells in the past (bloopers) I started putting a strip of dryer sheet in my powder bottle held by a piece of packaging tape on the outside, cap can be taken off without dryer sheet falling into the bottle.

I have not had even one off sounding shell since. I have a Mec progressive and hold the handle down at the bottom of the stroke for a full second before raising it back up.

Disclaimer: Bought loader used -
    1 I did find a piece of plastic stuck inside my powder drop tube
    2 I did increase amount of powder dropped.
    3 I changed wads now use Claybuster 12S0 for about everything.
    4 I replaced my wad guide (fingers were allowing part of the wad to catch the edge of hull sometimes causing damage to wad (I would hear a loud click) when seating the wad.

Like most everything else that has to do with trap shooting if you think it helps it probably does.

I also discovered a cut up dryer sheet in tumbler works great when tumbling rifle and pistol brass (grabs the residue and keeps the media like new)

tom

6. PODO

PODO TS Member

All I have done for years is tape a dryer sheet to the outside of the powder bottle. Works great in reducing static and does not create a possible problem with pluging the drop or adding foreign elements to the powder. - TOM

7. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Just ground your reloader.

8. ec90t

ec90t Guest

A little bit of graphite in your powder bottle will cure this. Just roll some shot around inside your powder bottle then empty out your shot. A nice light coating of graphite will be left behind.

You can also put a humidifier in your reloading area and this will stop the problem as well.

ec90t

9. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Makes your shells smell better to.

10. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have observed my 9000 bottle has a little cling in dryer weather. I don't worry about it because the second and further drops are ok and only so much powder is going to cling anyhow. Having measured drops during this condition I find that after the first there is not much to worry about. Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.