1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

State weighing gun lessons for schoolchilden

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by skeet_man, Feb 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Anyone else think this is friggin awesome!

West Virginia is considering a bill to teach schoolchildren how to handle a gun and hunt safely its proponent hopes will increase state revenues from hunting licenses, a state lawmaker said Thursday.

"We will teach a hunting safety course during their physical education class," state senator and bill sponsor Billy Wayne Bailey told AFP. The courses would be imparted in secondary schools, from the eighth to 10th grade (13-16 years of age).

"They will learn gun safety, the proper use of fire arms. All the weapons will be disabled so there is no chance of discharging," he said, adding that the state Senate was expected to take up the bill next week.

"Hunting is an economic and cultural thing and we have seen a decline of hunting licenses over the past years," said the lawmaker, explaining that his bill would boost interest in hunting in West Virginia.

Children 10 years and older can already apply for a hunting license in West Virginia, which makes 1.5 billion dollars a year from hunting-related activities, the senator said.

2. old870

old870 TS Member

Way to go! I remember here in western PA when high schoolers used to bring their guns to school so they could go hunting afterwards. I don't remember anyone shooting up the school!!!

3. vanman

vanman TS Member

" NO "

Van

4. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Only a freaking LIBERAL would oppose it! When I was going to grade school, we had a conservation officer teach hunter/gun safety in all the grade schools in the county,INCLUDING shooting(you only had to get a form signed by your parents). I always wondered how many accidents it might have prevented in the course of those young lives.

5. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Old870;

I was one of those gun toting PA kids that went hunting after school. If my memory serves me correctly, we had hunter safety training in junior high school. I believe it was held in the gym during school hours. This was in Huntingdon County in the 60's. Does anyone else remember that?

6. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Not everyone wants to or needs to know how to handle guns and many people don't consider stalking and killing animals to be a sport. The State (W. Virginia) is doing it for only one reason...to make more money from hunting licenses...a State financed sales pitch to a captive audience. There is nothing in the proposal about personal safety or self defense. If the classes are purely voluntary, there's nothing wrong with the idea.

Here's a better article: http://www.columbusdispatch.com/live/content/national_world/stories/2008/01/31/wva.html?sid=101.

This idea has more merit...Concealed carry licenses issued for gun shop class attendance.

Morgan

7. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

I think it's great.Hope they get it done.

Would like to see this in every state.

Our school district will not even allow hunting mags. such as Field and Stream.

Bo

8. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

In high school, I used to get ticked 'cause the girls were allowed/got to shoot bow and arrow as markmanship as part of PE. "They" didn't trust the boys with bow and arrow. Part of the early, still sexist 60's.

9. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

How times change!

In High School, I was on a rifle team...most high schools in Vermont had them.

10. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

Capt. Morgan,

Your statement regarding your opinion on why you think the state is doing this is garbage.

If you had a clue as to what license dollars go towards, or cared, you may think differently. Seeing as how license dollars go towards such things as purchasing, managing, and maintaining wildlife and fishery habitat, concervation wardens salaries, educating thepuclic and generally making sure that our outdoor recreational activities are funded to the full extent, I guess you don't really care about the future of our Hunting Heritage or conservation.

Tim

11. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

I wrote a different reply to this but deleted it when I realized that I would be talking to someone who is completely closed-minded about the subject. That would serve no useful purpose.

Morgan

12. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

Back in the mid 50s when I was 14 yrs old, I took my Hunter Safety class in school. We also took guns to school as a show & tell project or just to show off to our friends. The school bus driver would only ask if they were unloaded when I got on the bus. My first dbl bbl was purchased from my math teacher. We also had a rifle club for boys or girls. My wife's school also had a rifle club and she still has her "Girls Rifle Club" school jacket. The coach used to arrange Deer hunting trips to the Adirondack mountains ( about a 250 mi trip )for groups of as many as 15 boys. About 6 or 8 years ago, my Grandson was suspended from school for a week because he made an object that looked like a pistol. It was made from Green Clay. Times sure have changed. Larry Evans

13. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

hey we have some here that already is bad mouthing the guy for sponsering the bill most are the city slickers that closed our trap/skeet club because the gun shots could be heard at the new high school 5 miles away but most parts of the state is for hunting -- the money from the license goes for restocking and upkeep of the hatcheries and wildlife stockings rick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.