1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

State Teams

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, Mar 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

OK, I know that this is going to ruffle a few feathers-but I have an issue with people who make a state team & manage to get all or 90% of their points @ 1 or 2 clubs, or @ private shoots that were not made available to the public. If you want to be on a state team, maybe only 40% of your targets should be shot @ one club-

I feel, that the state team means,just that the state team--not a local club team

Phil Berkowitz

2. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I don't think that what you are proposing is unreasonable. I believe that shooting well at a variety of clubs requires a greater skill level, because you are not mastering a certain background, elevation, etc.

3. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

I wasn't aware that there were any private ATA shoots. I thought that was prohibited.

I also thought most state teams were determined based on composite average, not a points system. At least most of the ones in the midwest are that way. I'm from Illinois, and the only requirements are a certain number of targets in each disipline, you have to shoot at one of three state zone shoots, and you have to shoot the championship events at the state shoot.

Scott

4. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

The only state that I am aware of that has a point system is North Carolina, and they have both (a points team and an average-based team.)

But I've only seen state team information from about half of the states/provinces so it's possible there are other associations that use a point system.

I am also interested in more information about these "private" shoots that you mentioned.

5. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

The thing that pissed me off was a person, receiving category points for attending a "youth shoot" that suddenly appeared almost 2months after the target year ended. Honestly, if a club, throws a shoot for the 4-h, Boyscouts or AIM---there should be no category points awarded---these shoots are usually not advertised to the general shooting population.

Phil Berkowitz

6. recurvyarcher

Even if it's based on your composite average, if you shoot at only one or two clubs where the conditions are great, versus the rest of people who shoot at clubs that maybe don't have voice calls, have ravines past the traps, are on top of a windy hill, etc., ...you get the picture. I have more respect for the guys who will shoot at any club under any conditions and still keep a respectable average, rather than the shooters who pick and choose their club and targets.

7. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Thanks Devi---you get the picture,real difficult to rack up points, if all you have to do is roll out of bed go to a club 3 miles away, shoot with 3-4 of your buds---then extend the program & you're guaranteed a load of points, because you're the only --lady,vet or senior vet---do this on a monthly basis & the state points race is a joke.

Last year I was in the running & had to put thousands of miles on my car,spend money for motel bills & go to every shoot in the last 2 months of the season to get enough points to make the team. Its not fair to shooters on a limited budget. I'm fortunate enough to afford what I love to do.

Phil Berkowitz

8. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

If you shoot enough to get all the required targets in you will shoot during some bad weather, if you pick and choose too much, you will never get the targets. In Mi. it's only by average. No points.

How about western and southern shooters always shooting warm weather targets.

Trapshooting is not fair to those on a budget? Duh...

9. Pipe Layer

Pipe Layer Well-Known Member

If you know of a club not advertising and having as you call private shoots? You need to file a complaint. The ATA rule book explains how to do that.All ATA shoots are open to ATA members.

Terry Dean
    CHC

10. PW

PW Member

Think of Big 50s

11. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Phil -

You "had" to put thousands of miles on your car, etc, etc? I think the more accurate word would be "chose".

Terry is right. Talk to your ATA delegate or file a complaint, or depending on how your state association is setup you can talk to the directors of the state association.

As most have found, complaining on here about stuff does very little in the way of actually changing things.

Scott

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

One way to ensure parity amoung the state team candidates is to require that they register targets at least three clubs within the state and there be a fairly high minimum number of targets.

What that means out here in NV is that the people that do make the state team have shot in a variety of hostile conditions as there aren't that many club options or wind free days.

But once a shooter has met the team requirements they will naturally shoot at the club(s) where they get the best targets/scores. That is how they can repair their averages that may have taken a beating at other clubs.

13. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I try to get most requirements at big shoots that throw a lot of targets.

Shoot the program for several days, for better or worse, rain or shine.

14. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Talking to your delegate won't do anything, he will just tell you to file a complaint with the ATA.

15. hoosier

hoosier TS Member

320090T, You are right, that is what Terry Dean said to do. File a complant with the ATA. Then the ATA will contact the delegate of the state that has the problem. At that time the delegate will look into the problem and report back to the EC with a reconmendation of what should be done. Simple process.

16. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Either your state is run by crooks and good-ole-boys, or by those who believe in integrity.

Thankfully my state honors those who shoot the best. One day I'll get there.

Guy Babin

17. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

"How about western and southern shooters always shooting warm weather targets."

This western shooter is more than ready for some warm weather. I had to shovel several inches of that damn white stuff off my driveway and sidewalks again yesterday, and I fear that we aren't done yet.

18. EXFDX

EXFDX Member

Always warm in the South and Southwest? I'll say! How about not being able to see or keep a good hold of your weapon without gloves because of the sweat in March sometimes? Not complaining (exactly) but it can get darn toasty, darn quick down here. And stay that way through November!

Doc

19. recurvyarcher

It doesn't matter about the south and southwest states, because the state teams are made up of only people within that state, not in other states.

20. Remington STS

Remington STS TS Member

It's on a composite average I believe in most states, some guys can only make it to 2-3 gun clubs for a slew of different reasons but I agree it should be along the lines of making the AA team you must shoot at a shoot in 3 different states. Make it you must shoot at 3 different clubs. Something that I find interesting that nobody mentioned is the AA members that usually only shoot one shoot in their own state that being their own state shoot just something to consider. STS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.