1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

State Teams and how its figured??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Scootermac50, Aug 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scootermac50

Scootermac50 Active Member

Just a note to get some insight on how everyone picks their state teams.
    Average, point system, etc.
    How does it work in your states?
    Here in Utah there has become a heated debate on changing away from target count as well as average. Anyone out there have a better way?

Scott McKinnon

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

Virginia selects the teams by using the average of the averages in singles, doubles and handicap. The average of three averages is probably not the best way statistically, but it is the easiest way.

North Carolina uses a point system based on wins/ties at North Carolina shoots. It is a very good way to select the state teams but it also requires a lot of work for George P. That is OK, I like to see George work.

Pat Ireland

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I think Michigan does the same as Virginia. Also, you must compete in the Championship events at the State shoot.

4. Scootermac50

Some of the Utah shooters are looking at going to a point system. Currently we use the composite average along with 2000 targets in each of singles, doubles and handicap. Along with target count you must shoot at least 100 of each event at 7 different clubs in the state. How do the point systems work??

5. BFJ201

BFJ201 TS Member

I like how we do it here in Texas. HAA from the state shoot and your two best of the five state zone shoots, with minimum target requirements. The best scores out of those 1200 targets make the State Teams in the various categories.

James Allen

6. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Scott,

You're allowed to use Google.

Above is one example.

7. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Geez, I can see why so many just combine the ATA averages.....

8. Scootermac50

I can also see why the composite is used.

Thanks Scott, I just wanted to see what it was people were wanting to go to.

The work involved with that would be daunting at best.

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

NC has been using that system for several years. The job is not very difficult, just dump it on George P. Every state association has a few people who do a lot of work for the rest of the shooters who sit under the porch at their clubs.

Pat Ireland

10. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

In Illinois we use the average of the averages. Lately there was an attempt to adopt a system like the ATA All American uses.

Although I would like to see it adopted, because it truly identifies the state's best shooters, it failed because it is a very data intense system. Even with the average of averages system we have mistakes almost every year. It's not as easy as you think.

It takes a big commitment of the state's association to make the ATA style system work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.