1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

State shoot prizes!!!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by gasman03, Jun 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gasman03

gasman03 Member

I would like to know what are some prizes people win at state shoots. I would like to get examples of any thing from runner up to AA A B C D any thing really.

Thanks Corey

2. gasman03

gasman03 Member

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Trophies at state shoots can be very variable. This year my trophies have ranged from a leather shooting bag to a heavy glass object nobody has been able to identify.

I normally would pick out a specific club for comments about their trophies, but I will now make an exception. At a preliminary doubles event during the SC state shoot, I won a very nice silver money clip. With the price of shot at $30 and gasoline $3 per gallon, why would any shooter have need for a money clip? I suspect that Harry and Mike did this to me just to watch my reaction.

Pat Ireland

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Leather shooting bag for Ma state class champ,

5. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Many of the resident championship prizes are the same in all states since they are supplied by the ATA.

Ed Yanchok

6. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I have seen shooting bags, wildlife prints, 3-D wall hangings (related to fishing and hunting), wood and leather plaques, pewter trophies with 3-D trap scenes on them (trophies, plates, etc), and silver buckles, bracelets, and rings.

7. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

This year the Missour Summer Handicap will have diamond jewelry as prizes. You can go to motraps.com and view the prizes.

Pretty cool idea I thought..........prizes for the wives.

hubcap

8. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Due to a tie at a small club I won half a box of shells. The odd shell went to the guy who didn't take the box .......

9. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Not a State shoot but at The Westy Hogans a friend won a black powder rifle. I forget the specific event but there were several rifles designated as prizes. He has actually used the rifle so that qualifies as a unique prize.

10. rumplestilskin

rumplestilskin TS Member

Try this for a trophy. It's a personalized Golden Boy Henry Rifle. This would be a One Of A Kind prize.

11. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

ah, the great conundrum...everyone is never happy.

We give leather shooting bags, belt buckles, and nice lockblade pocketknives and fixed blade skinning knifes on the preliminary days. The ATA provides championship trophies...we fill in with goldpans, engraved with dates, etc.

We've also considered mounted grouse, wolf pelts, etc.

This year we're trying acrylic plaques...we'll see how they go over for HOA and HAA.

12. Flench

Flench TS Member

Two Years ago at the Nevada state shoot. I shot 30 shells to win a box of 25 shells for class All Around.

Doyal Kirby

13. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Corey.... Go to www.buckleart.com and look at the trophies available there. Jim's awards are great quality, and, as you can see from the pricing, very reasonable. I am the sales representitive for them, and I would be glad to talk to you about what we have available. I can custom design a trophy package to fit just about any clubs budget. On the website, you will see several trophies for the Eel River Trap club, and for E.R.T.C. This is my home club, and these are trophies I had made up for some of our shoots. Jim is a great guy to deal with, and his turnaround time is next to none. Very fast and accurate. If you are interested, email me at trap2dan@yahoo.com. I would be happy to provide you with a sample buckle, at no charge to you, with your logo on it, to really get an idea of just how nice these are. This same offer goes to any club that would like to consider us for their next trophy package.....Dan Thome (Trap2)

14. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

15. gasman03

gasman03 Member

I was trying to be fair about my question without throwing anything or anybody under the bus here. I will explain my thoughts. I am new to trap shooting and so is my 13yrold son who does most of the shooting. This is our first year shooting in the ATA. He loves it and is doing great. A couple weeks ago he say's I want to shoot the whole program at state and I told him no way I can get time off to take him. He calls grandpa and the deal is done. 5 days and 1100 targets later it is over and the scores for the week are posted. He wins Class D runner up in the singles, Wins class D State Zone, and also wins Class D High All Around. I am very pround and happy as any father would be. Now for the good part the winnings. He won a crystal whiskey bottle for the runner up, for the Zone championship he got the same thing only a little taller bottle and for the All Aroung he got a powder horn. Now you might say well it was class D. Thats his fair class and his entry fee was not any less than the AA shooters. Now if this is the going prizes in trap shooting I have no problem with this. I am not going to quit going but how about something you can use. ( He would of loved the box of shells) How about something with the date and what you won. Trap2 I would love to see those buckles. I would go for that any day. please eveybody let me know your thought on my thinking of this.

Corey

16. gasman03

gasman03 Member

JBBOR Now thos are some prizes. I like the idea of putting just what you have to offer on the table and let the people decide whats right for them. Great idea.

Corey

17. buddy123

buddy123 Guest

Quebec Provincial Championship-June 23-24
    200 singles event-class AA Open winner= a flashlight
    Pete Giddings

18. trapshooter1981682

trapshooter1981682 TS Member

Granted i have only ever won 1 nice trophy, and a few plaques. I have never ran a 100 straight, but every time i go out and shoot a 98 or 99, i got the confidence and the satisfaction of knowing that 100 is right around the corner and to me that is a trophy in it self. When i went to Ohio's State Shoot, i honestly think they need to start getting some nicer trophies for some of the winners. Its just my opinion though. Start giving those nice leather bags again, and belt buckles, i see a lot of guys take pride in those more so than a clock or something.

19. Dale Z

Dale Z TS Member

Corey

I sortof agree with you to a point. Some of the awards I see could be better. I am sure your son would much prefer a wooden plaque with engraving than a powder horn. But this leads to the question of who and how they are paid for. Would you be happier, and without complaining, if you were asked to pay an additional $5.00 per event to help pay for the awards so nicer awards could be given? I feel very lucky and pleased to have won some awards even tho some could be nicer. I feel great because I received such a meager award because I know there may have been 200 shooters that didn't receive anything except the experience of the shoot and their empty hulls for their award. The most gratifing award I have received, is the posting of my name on the web site. Granted they don't give out the silver platters and silver trophys they did 50-55 years ago. I think the ecomony has something to do with that, but I have seen first hand that those awards have become dust collectors and then finally ended in a box in the attic. I feel that most would be happier with a wooden clay with engraving that could be hung on the wall. Hopefully in the future the awards committee can come up with awards that ALL would be happy to receive.

Dale

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shoot up the prizes