1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

State Shoot Championship Trophies

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Lewis Wetzel, May 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lewis Wetzel

Lewis Wetzel TS Member

Does any state shoot have Championship Trophies for residents ONLY,
    and OPEN trophies for Out of State shooter ONLY? If so how is it
    working. At our State shoot in the Championship evets we have ATA
    and State Assoc. trophies for residents only. There is like trophies
    for the Open shooters. There is added money for each.

But resident shooters if they lose in a resident shootoff can drop and take an OPEN trophy.

Would changing so Resident shoot for Resident only and Non Resident (Open)
    shoot for Open trophies only attract more shooters.

Thanks - Lewis

2. hoosier

hoosier TS Member

Lewis, There are state shoots that have out of state trophies. Open trophies are not out of state trophies. Open trophies can be won by in or out of state. I think most state shoots have champion in and out of state trophies. I know the state shoots that I attend do have.

3. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

A state shoot that wants to bring in the out of staters will have out of state specific trophies. If your state has a high volume of shooters with the state and board does not feel the added influx is necessary then offer open trophies.

4. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

If I understand your question...

Alaska has a full slate of "in state" trophies AND we offer 'non-resident' trophies along side that full slate...first, second and third. Now, we only get about 15 out of state guys a year, so we don't offer a full slate - all the classes and categories.

BUT WE WILL WHEN OUR SHOOT GETS BIGGER.

Our shoot is a standard 5 day shoot...prelim day, wed, all the trophies are open. Heck, the out of state guys can win them all. Ditto Thursday. Friday is our class singles and doubles - so we have resident AND nonresident trophies there. Friday afternoon is an 'open' handicap - again, the non residents can win all the trophies. The championship events are the same as the class events. And we have plenty of guns we're giving away - all those are open. All the added money is Lewis class - and open.

HOA and HAA we have a full slate of resident and non-resident first second third. Again, as we attract more out of state shooters, we'll go to a full slate on the nonresident trophies. Right now, we have 9 open events and 5 that offer both....

We're lucky to have attracted a larger number of nonresidents this year...

Alaska's spending $5,500 on added money and over $7,500 on trophies...outstanding for a 90 person shoot. I see bigger shoots in Trap and Field that don't offer half that.....

jeff
    Alaska President

5. bas

bas Member

Arizona and I think most of the larger state shoots have Resident and Non Resident trophies. In some of the southern states they have Resident and Open trophies, which can be won by a resident or a non resident. Normally we have more Non Residents at our shoot than residents, so it makes sense to have dedicated non resident trophies.In fact, we match the Resident and Non Resident trophies across the board...we feel their attendance is very important to us and the success of our shoot. In addition to a great trophy package and added money, the state association contributes a subsidy to the host club to keep the target fees down...another "thank you" for the support we receive.

6. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

Martin - Texas had state and open trophies for years. I, and a few others, convinced the Board we could increase attendance by offering resident and non-resident instead. We did it for three years and all it got us was trophies left over and no increase n attendance (we have some nice belt buckles left we could make someone a good deal on). We now only give non-resident trophies where ATA points are involved. That is not even necessary to receive points if the non-resident wins a open championship trophy and their score beats or ties the score of the resident winner. So your statement is not necessarily true. But I'm not mad at you. Jimmy Borum

7. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

ATA Hawaii has resident trophies and non-resident trophies for the main singles, caps and doubles. If you are a resident you are eligible for the resident trophy and not eligible for the non-resident one and visa-versa. The pre-lim trophies are open trophies, residency does not matter. The resident trophies are provided by the ATA. The non-resident trophies by the Hawaii Trap Assn, not all classes, places and categories are represented.

PITA Hawaii is geared for non-residents. Most trophies are open trophies. The main singles, caps and doubles have only a resident champion trophy for top resident and top lady. If a resident qualifies for more than one, they must choose what to take.

Jason

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.