1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

State of Maine ? NEW INFO

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by southjblue, Mar 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Looking for some that hunt or live in the Rockwood or Greenville area of Maine.
    We have been hunting in that area for many yrs and had a very unpleasant experience this yr and would like some advice as to who to complain to or give bad feedback---George@SJB---

2. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Here is the jist---We made arrangements to stay at a camp in Greenville Maine and paid advance pmt for 3---When we arrived we were sent to the cabin---When we entered it was full of Propane odor---I mean really bad so we got out as fast as we could and went to the owner---She came out and was very confused since her husband was out hunting---We refused to go back and enter---The place was full of the odor and lucky it didn't blow up---She then offered us another cabin but was not what we wanted since one in the group is of large frame and needs a full size bed and thats why we contracted for the cabin that had all our needs---Being very upset we decided to ask for a refund which she agreed to but said she would give us credit on our credit card or mail the funds back to us---We took her at her word and left to find another place which we did.We had to hurry to find another place since the season was under way---Well she or they whoever, never gave credit or sent funds back---We have tried to contact them and get advice from the credit card co but they say it's our word against theirs and they can't do anything---So right now we are stuck---

Some yrs back there was a simular condition in another camp in the area and there was lose of life---

We are looking for advice since we live 900 mi away and it would cost more lawyer fees than what we are out---

So we are looking for some advice for those in the area or who we could leave poor feedback---

Interesting to find out how you guys might feel---Are we or were we wrong???

George@SJB---

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

The local Better Buisness Bureau(of the area in question) if all else fails and you don't want to seek the attorney. Just a thought as i don't know how much good they will do either.

4. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Thanks---It is such a small town---They are on the Chamber of Commerce---Im looking for a site that feedback wiil get to them---George

5. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

The owner won't take our phone calls---The terms were that we were to have a cabin that was advertized for but not with a threat of blowing up---They did not have another suitable cabin and we were too concerned to reenter----She said her husband would fix it but he is not a licensed propane repair man and would you reenter?---Everything reeked of propane---the others would not go back in and I don't blame them---Note I said there was lose of life in a simular situation some yrs back---I could give the name of that camp but thats not necessary----George

6. grntitan

George--I think Gary meant, was there a clause in the contract or agreement that stated some thing such as "No Refunds under any Circumstances"? I have rented a many a cabin for fishing excursions and many have that. Most are nice people unless you cancel last minute on them. In the prime time i wouldn't see them having a problem renting it to someone else as i'm sure they did in your case.

7. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Would you or anyone enter and sleep in a cabin with the threat of death---I have spent many trips with people who are very nice but would not expect anyone to stay in a cabin with what i have discribed---We would have gladley taken another cabin equal to what we contracted for but none avail---George

8. grntitan

I sure wouldn't have stayed until the problem was found and resolved and possibly the Fire Department or gas company giving the OK. If she said she would refund i would have probably also assumed she would. Local C.O.C. in that area would be a good start. Just keep in mind they(C.O.C.) did nothing wrong. I havve a tendency to fly off the handle and the wrong people get caught in the crossfire.

9. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Checked that out---They are part of the C.O.C---SJB---

10. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Seems you have answered your own question, By going to the chamber of commerce.....will get you directly to them.

There's always Dear Abby, jus sayin.....%~)

11. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Right 221---Tried that and no response---I'll call Abby---SJB---

12. slick50

slick50 Member

i have some common sense advise for you although you probably woun't get your money back you may have some appreciation for fixing an unsafe condition. i believe the State of Maine does most of the fire code work in the more rural areas of the state. Because these cabins are rented they need to meet some basic fire code regulations. I would find out what agency in Maine is responsible for fire code safety in this region and tell them about your un-safe experience. Normally they are obligated to investigate and maybe they will do safety inspections for all the buildings at this site. In fact this site may be one that has a history with them. Maine the "Vacation Land" is very responsive to visitors to their state. If vacationers get pissed off and don't go to Maine, Maine looses big money. You may want to also contact the State department that oversees visitors to Maine. They may also be able to provide some assistance for you. Again they don't want vacationers to go away pissed off. Just my 2 cents. Bill

13. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

George, First of all I hope you get your money back or some form of satisfaction for yur trip. Its too bad it had to go that way.

You stated, "She said her husband would fix it but he is not a licensed propane repair man and would you reenter?". One question I am asking is, Did he fix it and you refused to reenter because he wasn't a licensed propane repair man? or did he just not fix it?

Bill

14. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

George, for a nominal fee you can usually get an attorney in that area to write them a letter threatening a lawsuit. Some attorneys can be pretty convincing. May just work.

15. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Likes to shoot---Her husband was in the woods hunting---We were there early in the day and lucky it didn't blow---Thats how bad it was---Her husband is a handyman according to her statement and she said he does all the propane hookups---We had to make a decission and no way were we going to spend a night in that cabin in the condition it was in---Right, we may not get the $$s back and that won't break us but it's the thought of the way we were treated---She expected us to spend a night in that cabin and no way---She said she would refund our deposit---She lied---I just want them to know that they were wrong and admit it---They think they have us over the barrel and she may be right but I am going to give them some kind of grief if I can---Hope no other hunters go there if I can help it---They could have 3 hunters dead on their hands---Note---There was lose of life in a camp in that area some yrs back.
    We may just be saving someone in the future---George

16. grntitan

I agree with Hawk. A small fee to a lawyer and a letter from him to the place warning of a lawsuit on his Letter Head will often be enough. Most won't want to call their bluff.

17. Mark-in-Maine

Mark-in-Maine Member

File a formal "dispute" with your credit card issuer.

18. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

It might have been as well to have shut off the tank and got the windows and doors open and called the gas man...Same as you would do at home. I don't care to stay in those situations, but some do, and no matter where you went the same issue could have occurred while you were there. Those types of lodging are prone to have issues, so you are always at some risk.

19. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Mark---Tried with the credit card co and no go---George

20. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Thanks 221 but we needed a place and she had no clue what to do and if they couldn't fix it we would then be stuck---The place stunk so bad we didn't want to put our clothes in there to stink them up---We thought she was honest about returning our deposit and final pmt.We were very nice to her but very concerned.I understand there is a risk but this one went up 100%---I guess there is no sense continuing this thread---you guys tried very hard to help but it's at a deadend street---Thanks to all---George

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.