1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

State of Gun Sales in USA

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by blade819, Jan 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

I'll be attending the 2008 SHOT Show in Las Vegas this weekend and can't wait until I hear the sales numbers for the last half of 2007. Some say the overall sales of firearms in the US is down 30% for the last quarter which would be in line of my shop sales. S&W stock dropped from $22 to $6. I do know that maybe it's time once again to retire so I can shoot trap more often. If I sell out I'll certainly post it on this site.

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Shooting in general is funded by disposable income. With grocery and fuel prices up 25-30 per cent it seems logical that there is less disposable income for some of us.

The ruslt is a cutbqck. Our club and my friends are in the same boat, around 25% retracement, more for some.

Since we as a country are in the toilet financially it doesmn't look like it will get better for a while. There may very well be some marginal clubs closing up as a result.

HM

3. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

I agree with you halfmile. When I get down on myself for starting this gun business 11 months ago, all I need to do is remember that I do get a measley little pension which pays the bills and my wife is working and we can make our house payment. That is sure more than a lot of Americans can do which is sorrowful. Economist are saying that pending the "right" economic policy moves thereby creating a path toward a robust economy, it'll take about 13 years to recover. I don't envy the next president whoever it will be.

4. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Gun sales have been strong both in my business and nationwide. The internet has been the biggest mover of guns and gun related items for those willing to explore it's potential. Any threat of a Democrat returning as president automatically boosts sales!!

5. KS5SPECIAL

KS5SPECIAL Member

Al Gore can take credit for that!

6. kenf

kenf Active Member

I was in a Cabelas back in September. Took an hour to get waited on at the gun counter, another hour to run the paperwork and pay for my new Swift. couldn't move in the place.

7. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

I agree on disposable income. With prices of real, everyday things practically DOUBLING over the past five years, despite what "economists" have told us about "core inflation"; with property taxes DOUBLING and TRIPLING in the past four years in many parts of the country, like Connecticut, that have gone from a 10 yr reval to a 4-yr reval, (ostensibly to "reduce" the felt "pinch" of property tax increases) - what we have gotten was a doubling every FOUR years in taxes, instead of every TEN like it used to be....even AFTER the property values have been HALVED in some cases since the market peaked in 2005.

Add to that, the subprime lending debacle, that will become the "Enron" of the second half of the decade as more SIVS "off the books" come up with ever deepening and widening losses in the TENS OF BILLIONS of dollars and a HALF MILLION PEOPLE losing their homes.

Conusmer spending, that was driving the economy even after the market meltdown of 2002, has tapped out. People are spent to the hilt. Credit card rates are going to 25 and 30% even for ON TIME PAYEES with credit scores in the 700-750 range JUST for carrying a BALANCE over 50% of the allowable credit line!

When you factor in that we're looking at eight and nine dollars per box for Winchester AAs and Remington STS Premiers; when you factor in that we're paying over ONE HUNDRED dollars per SPLIT for .410s and 28s When you factor in that a box of generic branded .38 Special lead round nose is going for $12 to $15 per BOX and generic shotshells are now being sold TWENTY per box rather than TWENTY FIVE....

yeah - shooting is going to fall off and so are gun sales.

My local clubs are already seeing 30-40% declines in participation and revenues. People still show up. They shoot two rounds and leave rather than four, six, or eight, like they used to.

The rifle range lines used to be PACKED five years ago with AR-15 and M-1A brass spitters showering the line in gleaming, surplus and factory generic brass cases. Five years ago, surplus NATO Portuguese .308 was going for $125 per case of 1,000 in five, sealed 200-rd battle packs. Now, three people show up for a half hour to an hour and shoot a box of .22s - and not recently purchased .22s, either!

The last ad I saw for .308 FMJ (7.62x51 NATO) was.......... $79.95 PER 140-rd (7-20rd boxes)of South African from AIM Surplus and more recently, the Eastern European surplus at almost $100 per PACK - FIVE TIMES what it cost three years ago.

.223????

IF you can find it......... 50-cents per shot or more. Again, IF you can find it.

We're being priced right out of the game.

At this rate, we won't need gun control to shut us down.

Too many ranges and clubs will fold due to lack of revenues and once a club folds up - forget it - you're not getting another one to start up in today's lib-tard political environment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.