1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

State Farm Ins scam

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by dirk, Jan 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dirk

dirk Member

Verizon Wireless and Bank of America caused a whirlwind of trouble for attempting to add "service" fees to customers bills. These fees were nothing more than processing fees and the public had a right to be upset. Well guess what boys and girls, State Farm has been doing it and gotten away with it without even a whisper. On their Notice of Payment Due there is a $3 service charge that is nothing more than a processing fee. Where's the outrage? Is it because no-one checks their statements anymore? Check your next bill for the "Service Charge".

2. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

I like the one on my electric bill. 3 years ago it was $16 a month, then it was raised to $24. And they continually send you magazines telling you how to cut back on power usage. Natural gas is from a separate company and their "customer charge" is $19.72 per month. Nothing like a built-in wage increase I guess. ;-)

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Don't confuse service charges with minimum charges. A minimum charge is to maintain the account and billing info whether you use any gas/electricity or not.

Lots of people with hunting shacks here keep the electricity on and pay the minimum rather than disconnecting and reconnecting, which would cost more.

I would bitch about service charges but minimums are a necessary evil.

HM

4. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

No service charge on my State Farm auto insurance bill. Could be because I get the bill on line and pay on line.

Eric

5. Basfshmn

Basfshmn Member

No service charge on my bill either, maybe thats why there is no outrage from me. Rick

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I have had State Farm for over 25 years. I pay mine online and see no service charge. I double checked after reading this thread. I can't remember seeing one before we started using electronic billing but maybe that is the difference. As stated above though, a service charge is not the same as what Verizon was trying to pull.

7. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Are you possibly not paying the entire premium on the original due date? I believe they allow you to pay half of the premium when initialy due, with the balance due sometime later. There is a small service charge for using this option.

8. tom berry

tom berry Active Member

A service charge for monthly billing is hardly a scam and $3 is really low for a monthly billing service fee.

Pay the bill in full and save yourself $33 per year. Better yet, cancel your policy and go without insurance.

My company provides a 10% discount if paid in full. I chose that option. The first check kind of hurt, but then you budget for it and now it's painless.

9. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Why don't you try sending out a bill and then getting it back process it and do all this for $3, how many times a year. In addition toss in how many reminders because you didn't pay the original bill.

You are paying for the option of making payments. Every company I know of does the same thing and some charge more and others less. Why should you pay the same as the insured who pays once.

Don

10. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

My auto insurance co. will do the same if you decide to start paying off the premium in quarterly or monthly payments. Pay it once a year and be done with it.

11. Itchyb

Itchyb TS Member

Service fee, billing fee, most carriers do it. Independent agent 14 years.

12. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

My electric company reduced their minimum charge by $7 per month if you receive your bill electronically and pay it online. Amazingly, the vast majority of people don't take advantage of this great deal. Go figure.

From my experience, most insurance companies charge a fee if you choose to pay the bill monthly instead of all at once. The choice is yours so don't complain if you choose to pay the fee. USAA is the only one that doesn't as far as I know and they just stopped charging a fee a few years ago.

13. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Your right Galt.

We pay all but one bill on-line. The only one we don't pay on-line is simply because they are not setup for it yet. Its great being able to pay 24hrs a day 7 days a week and the payment is made instantly as well as confirmed instantly. No waiting for the mail to deliver it and then the chance of whoever processes a chance of misplacing it. As Galt pointed out, there are also several of ours that are cheaper because we pay on-line. It's amazing the people who will not take advantage of the great advancements in bill paying and on-line banking in general. As i say though, to each his own.

14. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

If you have State Farm you are already paying too much anyway

15. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

I remember well the loss my neighbor had and State Farm did not cover as attorney said they should have covered. Seems they made the news here lately for some other thing.

Someone also posted that there was a bumper sticker people in this town had made that said. " IF YOU HAVE STATE FARM INSURANCE PLEASE DON'T HIT ME " Ray

16. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

When I am sent a bill if figure they factord in their profit. Now they want to add a fee to charge me. I don't think so. I have been in business myself for many years before I sold. I never charged my customers a fee for charging them.When I was charged a fee for processing I also deducted the same fee for taking my time to make out the check.
    I don't do any online payments of anykind. Call me old fashion but everday I hear about peoples bank accounts being stolen. credit card accounts stolen. If they want my money they they will get it my way.
    Oh by the way State farm has been a scam for 30 years thats why I dropped them 30 years ago. Wild Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.