1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

starting up a new club?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by slayer, Jan 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

A couple friends of mine are in the process of starting a new shooting club. Basically they are restarting an old club that closed down. They got there ok at the state level but are not hearing from the feds. Anyone been in the same situation lately or maybe can shed light on any possible hangups? thanks Bill

2. maltzahn

maltzahn Active Member

experience.....yes

Follow the guidelines of Roberts Rules of Order. Get a sales tax number and maintain accounting. Much work and wait, but a 501c3 IRS accomplished has great benenifit. Board and members should always thank guests every event. Set good targets. Print rules, programs, and member handbooks. Expect member volunteerism and ask for it. Ask contrary members or guests to get along or get out and don't wait too long.

Maltz

3. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

TTT

4. the old guy

the old guy TS Member

What Feds are you waiting to hear from?

5. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I'm getting the info second hand. I don't know what the specific department that they are writing to is called. Bill

6. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

Page 14 of the above document is some GREAT reading about what can go wrong!!!

Bob

7. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Slayer, I spent many months and $2,000 of my own money getting our club legal and in compliance with all laws.

I'll give you a synopsis and you can go from there.

First, make sure you are actually good with your State. That is the key.

Second, hire an Accounting firm with good CPA's who are used to working with non-profits. After I had spent $2,000 on legal fees and filings, etc. to get back our Fed tax ID and start the process of becoming a 501(c)7, I did hire an Accounting firm. As it turns out, they could have done the whole thing quicker and less expensively.

Once you are a State non-profit, Fed non-profit status is essentially automatic. Yes you have to fill out forms, write descriptions, file accounting stuff, etc. However, when I hired the CPAs to file our back taxes, they told me that simply filing the taxes and submitting the required info was all that was required. They were right.

BTW, you DO NOT want a Sales Tax Exemption number. YOU DO NOT. The accounting and rules burden is onerous. It is far simpler to just pay whatever your State's Use Tax is at the end of the year.

BTW2, the IRS is not going to allow you to become a 501(c)3 charitable organization. The rules have changed and they are going to get even stricter. Besides, the compliance duties of a charitable organization are far stricter that the are for a social club- what you will probably be granted Fed non-profit status under. There are rules, of course, but they are easy.

I type with two fingers, so if you want to discuss this further, send me a PM with your contact info and we'll talk on the telephone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.