1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Starting Trap/Skeet Club

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by MrMoeTN, May 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrMoeTN

MrMoeTN TS Member

I belong to a rifle and pistol club that is about to purchase an additional piece of land that will nearly double our presently paid for, 65 acres. With that land we may be able to increase our offering. Many are anticipating longer rifle ranges etc. We are a completely volunteer operated range with individual range access to our members at their leisure. I am envisioning our ability to offer trap and skeet to the several SCTP teams that are established in our area who drive at least 30 minutes one way to visit one of the two local establishments now in business. Trap is the game of choice around here but I think there is a market for more skeet and eventually SC. Each of these established clubs operates 2-3 trap fields each. One has the ability to throw skeet but rarely does.

My question is this: If we do decide to initiate the building of a trap/skeet facility on this newly acquired land, is there anyone out there that has done this and could help us navigate the waters of getting something like this planned and up and running? Are there any specific resources that address a venture such as this that one could point me to? What are some of the things that I should be thinking about to get a venture like this off the ground? I'd see us being able to put in 1-2 combination T/S fields in the beginning and building from there.

No suggestion too small...
    Thanks in advance for your consideration.
    Chris

2. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

NSSA has a field grant program that can provide up to $5,000 to establish a second (or more) Skeet field, but you have to have the first one in place. Just something to keep in mind once the first one is built.

Tennessee falls in Zone 4. The Zone 4 Association website is: http://www.zone4skeet.org/
    You also may want to talk with the Zone 4 Committeeman:
    W. W. "Bill" Murrell, Jr. NSSA # 045640
    Zone 4 Committeeman
    P O Box 221
    Wilmington, NC 28402
    UPS: 4920 Hwy 421 - North - Wilmington, NC 28401
    Home: 910-452-2145 Work: 910-763-6274
    Fax: 910-763-6132 Cell: 910-520-0055
    E-Mail: bmurrell@serr.com

...Bob_K...

3. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

Before you purchase the land, I would get the local zoning,permits, and everything pre-approved, on condition of the purchase(if possible). In our area of the US, people come out of the woodwork to stop you. I don't know how it is where you are. Hire a lawyer. Expect it to go through very rough and try to anticipate all the bad things that could happen and then if they don't you'll be very happy. Good luck and I wish you well.

all the best,
    john

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.