1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

starting to reload

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by sean justice, Jun 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sean justice

sean justice TS Member

been shooting couple of years but always bouht factory loads, want to buy good reloader, which one, shoot 12 g, shoot mainly one gun (perazzi). looking for info, which brand , seems like alot to learn. shoot 1oz.

2. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

reloading is a great hobby and if you don't put a cost to your time you can save some over factory loads.

get a progressive press - don't let anybody tell you otherwise. single stage is fine and they work very well but a progressive is no more difficult to learn and SO much faster.

top of the line is spolar.

bottom of the line is mec. (and only in price, they are very good machines)

in between you have dillon, ponsness, hornady and rcbs.

i use a rcbs grand - just a fantastic reloader.

go over to shotgunworld and look at the reloaders forum - it's the best on the net - read up and ask questions. some really knowledgable folks over there.

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I agree with wildcat....if you load one shell at a time in a progressive, well its a single stage now. As you learn you start loading more shells progressivly.

4. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

I'm with the wildcat and the explorer ; RCBS Grand is the most user friendly moderately priced press .

Charlie

5. psfive

psfive Member

Buy the progressive loader you can afford. Buy a scale. Learn how to use them both. Determine which components and hulls you want to use. After a fair amount of time effort you will start to turn out a premiun load at low end off the shelf price. I have a 7/8 oz. load that makes dust back to the 20 yard line. PAL

6. DJM

DJM Member

Question # 1 is how many shells do you use in a year. Money buys speed with shotshell reloaders. I shoot about 2500/year loaded on a MEC Grabber I found used for $100. It is all the machine I would ever need for that amount of reloading. I will not be upgrading unless I stumble into a deal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.