1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Starting a 14yr old of right with trap

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Deacon Stone, Apr 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deacon Stone

Deacon Stone TS Member

I'm looking to start my daughter of shooting trap. I want to start her off right and need some help. Now she a great shot in SASS but this is a whole new game. I'm looking for the right gun without spending a whole lot and for some good advice. I know that she as all kids will never listen to there parents but will listen to someone else. So if there is anyone around the Topeka KS area that could help I'm all ears.

Thanks Deacon Stone

2. chessney

chessney TS Member

Go with a Rem 1100.Very little recoil....Ziggy

3. nipper

nipper TS Member

please by all means go buy some of the low recoil low noise new winchester aa shells , i think they are around 950 fps. around a week ago i was at the local club and a military guy had his wife/girlfriend shooting cannon 12 guage loads and they were causing her to back up at least 2-3 feet each shot,im sure he showed her why she dosent belong at the club.

bill

4. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

After you get a gun that fits her, Get her into a clinic. I can personally recommend Leo's clinic. It's a lot harder to unlearn a bad habit.

Jim

5. colobiggun

colobiggun Active Member

It's a looonnngggg process where "what" gun she shoots is only one part. I started my 14 year old daughter with an 1100 (low recoil), which she shot just fine but was self-conscious, as the other kids were shooting break opens. She moved on to a Micro BT-99, which her scores were almost the same, but she felt more comfortable among her "peers". Teach her the basics correctly from the beginning and constantly remind her that the scores will come, but it is more important to learn the fundamentals and develop good habits, then repeat them over and over. Most important is to make sure each trip is fun, and is something she wants to do, not that you want her to do it. As long as this sport interests her, she will be willing to listen and want to improve. It has been a great time watching my daughter go from a beginner to a contender in just two years, but it can at times become very frustrating for both of you. I'm not sure what you will need more of, patience or encouragement. Good luck!! Feel free to e-mail me any time at my sign on name at earthlink dot net and I can share some of our methods and pitfalls we went through to help get her to where she is today.

6. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

I have to say what colobiggun said. Almost the same thing with my daughter. Except after about 6 months using a BT-99 micro.. she was ready for an O/U for doubles hence came the XT. Started her out with low recoil loads then moved her slowly to the regular shell.

The other posts are correct in my opinion also. Just that colobiggun post hit close to home for me.
    Good luck and safe and happy shooting!!

WesleyB

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

http://www.winchester.com/products/catalog/shotdetail.aspx?symbol=WL12FL8&bn=18&use=21 The winchester feather lights are great starter shells for the non auto's. I hooked my wife on these on the 870. These actually are what got me into reloading, Availabilty became a problem. I have since moved onto a 1oz clays powder sts hull load @ 1135fps Awesome for 16s. If I where to start my wife or smaller child on shooting I think I would go for the Beretta RL target model with adjustable comb and spacers. Most adjustable gun out of the box for 1000.00. Next best thing get her to try other girls guns that are shooting. See what she really warms up to.

8. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Go with what Ziggy said...a nice soft shooting 1100 is perfect plus you can get a junky buttstock to cut off until she's grown up..then you can bolt on the original

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Check these out. A chpped down full size stock is not the answer. The grip radius<a href="http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t196/jrm7800/?action=view┬Ąt=100_0040-2.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a> and grip to trigger length is usually not right for women or kids. CHECK OUT THE BERETTA!!!above link

10. otnot

otnot Active Member

When my son is old enough, I'm going to start him out with a TM1 with a PFS stock and light 7/8 oz shells.

11. BrowningGal

BrowningGal TS Member

Go with the BT-99. You can't go wrong. I got my 1970 issue used in 1981, and I use it in singles and handicap to this day. The only work that has been done on it is a new recoil pad installed by Ken at Speedbump this past weekend at the SW Grand. Old one was original and pretty hard and smooth.

One other thing to consider is that Browning has a new program called "growth insurance". If you buy one of five or six models of micro guns before Dec 31 2008, you can purchase a full-sized stock for 50% off retail within the next five years (must show original proof of purchase). Details can be found at

http://www.browning.com/products/promotions/growthinsurance.asp

12. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

how did you make out?

13. Bluerock1

Bluerock1 Member

I started my daughter out with a 1100 youth. Not bad but now she(13 yo)is shooting a 12ga citori 28" lightning with a precision fit stock. The gun fits and according to her there is no recoil (1oz 1200fps loads). The other advantage is the stock will grow with her or she will be able to use it on another gun in the future. Her shooting has really progressed since shooting a properly fitted gun with no recoil. Citori lightning $1000, PFS $1400, Dad let's shoot, Priceless.
    BR1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.