1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Starter gun

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by smoke22, Apr 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smoke22

smoke22 TS Member

I have been shooting trap just for fun. Im thinking about joining a league here in the near future. I was wanting to know a good starter gun to go with? Normally I just used my Super Black Eagle when Im out there shooting. I was thinking maybe something along the line of a model 332 since I know of where I can get one for $800. Is that a good deal on one. Or if I need to spend a little extra money, there is a winchester select trap that I know of thats $1200. I saw a model 3200 on gunbroker but debating on that one. I could defetly use the help.

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

Both the Remington 870 and the Browning BT 99 are fine shotguns at relatively low prices. Neither is very good for doubles but will certainly serve well for singles and handicap.

If you want to shoot doubles (they are great fun) a low priced automatic will work.

Pat Ireland

3. mahrbeezer

mahrbeezer TS Member

Browning Citori XT Trap. Very nice gun that can be used for everything. You can get a nice used one for around $1700.

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

BT-99 is your best bet. Unless you want to shoot doubles.

5. chemist

chemist Member

just a thought that has been expressed over and over on these threads-whatever gun that you buy make sure it fits properly-

6. berettagold53954

berettagold53954 TS Member

you cant go wrong with the 3200 either make sure it has the updates

7. smoke22

smoke22 TS Member

what would be best for say that I want to shoot doubles later down the line. I shot a 1100 before but don't really like how it fits me.

8. berettagold53954

berettagold53954 TS Member

id say the 3200 or citori cant beat for the price one of my friends had the 3200 great shooting gun then he had 34 unsingle made by simmons that was a great gun wish i had it

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Is the winchester NEW for 1200, couple of heavy shooters at our club have them. Both had adjustable combs installed. Gun fit is key

10. smoke22

smoke22 TS Member

There new. I saw two of them at Gander Mtn, and there a couple on Impact Guns website. Can I use my field gun till I can save the money on a new gun. I might be able to get that 332 I saw with a 30 inch barrel. I might be better of though getting a new gun.

11. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

Yes, not only can you use your field gun to start, you should, as long as it fits you and you can bust birds with it. Give it a season before you buy a gun, if possible, because if you're like me, your ideas about what you want will change as you listen, learn, handle & try-out various guns. Phil E

12. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

I wouldn't buy a Remington 332 for trap. A Browning Citori XT or the SKB 85TSS is probably a better choice.

If you want a dedicated trap gun for a good price, find a Remington 870 trap model. They can be had for $400 used, give or take.

Pat is absolutely correct with the BT99. They can be had used, for under $1k. They last forever, and are very popular.

You'll find that your field guns shoot a little low, and you'll eventually want something that shoots higher, so you can see the bird. Field and skeet guns shoot low, and you'll end up covering the target with the muzzle.

Enjoy!

Best,
    Dennis

13. leadspreader

leadspreader TS Member

if you look around you can find a winchester diamond grade combo for around 1800

14. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I shot 870 exspress for a year, then when I was sure I was going to stick with trap I shot every gun I could get my hands on for 6 months. Then I set my price. I ended up with A used XT with adjustable comb, no regrets. I love the looks of the New winchester traps. Maybe I

15. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

My vote would be a Beretta 391 Trap. With the stock shims, you have a slightly better chance of making an out-of-the-box gun fit you. If you can find a 390/391 with Super Trap stock, you also can shoot the gun for skeet and clays, assuming it has choke tubes. These guns have three comb shims for raising the point of impact (in addition to the shims for the stock).

These guns are a slight pain to clean, but considering the amount of reduced recoil they have, the pain is worth it.

Only other disadvantages are 1) need a shell catcher, or have Tron weld on a knob to deflect the hulls, to keep from making the K- and P-gun guys mad, and 2) no second choke selection for doubles.

There is a Super Trap 390 here for $699. Don't know anything about these guys.

http://www.whittakerguns.com/

Also, www.indianagunclub.com has at least one with a high rib for $895. Look for gun number 10720 to see an example of the comb shims.

Danny

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.