1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Started a Kidney stone this afternoon

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by striper, Jan 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. striper

striper Member

On way home from work got a stomach ache. Thought it was just gas!!! Went out for nice dinner with the wife came home and realized what was going on. It is now 2:30 am and been taking pain killers. Hope I can last to see my Dr when he opens. We will take Xrays and hopefully blast the damn things. I have not had attack for 3 years but I knew I had a few small ones from earlier Xrays. I could solve most of this if I would just drink more water !! When I am doubled up in pain I swear I will and then here we go again. I live in Ga and my MD said this state has one of the highest rates of KS in the US. I know many of you have gone thru this I read posts here every day. Love the site and all the info I get about lots of shoot gunning and life in general. I will keep you posted. Striper

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Hopefully for your sake "This too shall pass".

Eric

3. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

7½ or 8?

4. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

The stone is probably a 12 or so but will feel like a 00 buck.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

5. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have had them also and live in Iowa

not sure how you would track kidney stone rates--

one thing I do know now- is that you are going to win in a wrestling match with one- particurally one that doesnt want to pass- just go get a shot of toradol(sp) from your local doc- its not a narcotic- but will stop the pain right away

hope you feel better

Gene

6. Hydra

Hydra TS Member

I had a kidney stone a few years ago. What you said it might not be a kidney stone but it maybe a gul-blader(sp)stone. The kidney stone for me started on the rightside near the back. It is the worst pain you will ever get You can not stand or sit. It will come on slow and just build from there on out. They gave me one drug at the hospital and it was only good for 30 min. They then gave me morphine that took care of the pain. The gul-blader(sp) is a pain in the gut that feels like a knife. You will also feel like your going to throw up but can't. On both sides of your spine it will hurt so bad that you can't sit or lay down. It will come on like someone turned on a switch and stop like someone turned off a switch. Either one is a pain. I had my gu-blader taken out and it was the best thing I have ever done. The Kidney stone went away by its self. Good luck with your problem there. Hope its taken care of before the trap seaon starts.

7. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

Been there, done that..OUCH!!!!!...............Roger

8. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

My last one was so big that I opted for a tow truck (extraction) instead of the laser. Remember that a laser can make a bunch of small ones which may clog you later anyway. Calcium Oxalate was the analysis. Kind of like trying to fit a watermelon down a garden hose. Had them on both kidneys in November. Clean at the moment.

9. u r 2

u r 2 TS Member

drink straight lemon juice it will go away in two or three days

10. C1

C1 Member

The last one I had (I've had 5) my Dr. comes in with the x-ray and said "look at this sh.t" and proceeds to lay a nickle on the picture of the stone and it don't cover it.
    He told me it ain't a record but it's a real good average. He thumped it with the sound machine and I peed gravel for 3 weeks.

Other than ancestry the reason for all the stones in the midwest is that in the old days farmers worked up a good sweat and didn't pee much and all the sludge turned hard. Around my home town at least 10 farmers had stones every august.

Since I'm retired my Dr. says the only thing saving me from another stone is the fact that I pass between 3 and 4 liters of fluid a day. I never could drink that much while I was on the job. BTW that's WATER.

They ain't fun and I sure don't want another.

Gary Riecke

11. david

david Member

I had my first kidney stone at 18. A bunch of friends and myself went out shooting in the mountains and later that evening in a flash it felt like someone had shove a knife in my back and nothing I could do would make the pain lessen. Off to the emergency room where I found out I had a large stone stuck in my ureter. I guess I had back luck and had an old school doctor who proceed to go up and retrieve the stone with what had to be at least a 3/8” x 12” stainless rod which he shoved up the you know what and dilated the ureter and grabbed the stone and install a stent. Then came the fun part recovery and stent removal. Must have taken a month before I felt normal from that episode.

Several years later had a stone or two and passed a couple and got one blasted. One or two had to have a stent put in. If you can avoid getting a stent I would highly recommend it, as they are no fun.

Then in summer of 1999 I got another one, which they blasted but after that I got a real bad infection (sepsis) and was in the hospital puking for days with a high fever. After a bunch of various antibiotics they kicked the bug and all was well.

After that episode I was put on Urocit-K it’s called potassium citrate. It’s a citrate salt of potassium that is supposed to change the alkalinity of the urine so the particles that make up stones done stick together. Since I have taken this I might have had a couple very small stones that passed with little notice.

I try and drink a lot of water but for some reason my system just burns liquids like fuel. Recently I have been taking a half of a water pill to try and urinate more as well.

Beer is supposed to work well to flush them out as it goes right through you from what I hear.

Good luck and good passing!

12. C1

C1 Member

If your urologist says beer isn't good for you, find another. Beer is a diuretic and makes you eliminate more water.

13. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I've had only one and it's the very most pain I've ever experienced. It was an emergency room detail and 100 units of of morphine twice before I didn't care any more; never stopped the pain but I really didn't care. My doc at that time also suggested drinking more beer.....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

14. ChairborneRanger

ChairborneRanger Member

Had one in each kidney several years back. They blasted them both----the one on the right came right out and am fine on that side. The one of the left broke up, however, the pieces never came out (the stone was in the bottom of the kidney)----have learned to drink LOTS of water. I go in once a year and get it x-rayed----so far, it hasn't increased in size, etc. The Urologist I go to is pushing to go in and cut it out----I keep on resisting that option. If it isn't causing me any pain, isn't getting any larger and isn't infected, no sense is "going under" the knife in my view.

15. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

Never had one, but I understand passing one is like running a "Bore Snake" from your rectum through your penis!

OUCH!

16. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

This bastard almost killed me.

[​IMG]

17. Dednlost

Dednlost Member

How that penny got up in there would be an interesting story!!!

18. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Has anybody had their doctor tell them to reduce calcium intake? My doctor stated that both of the stones that I passed in November were calcium deposits. He also insisted on the pushing lots of liquids but told me to be careful since many colas have lots of sodium. I like a little milk now and then but giving up CHEESE would be hard to do. Most of my family has had stones from calcium buildup, even a few of the girls.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.