1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Start tipping the Trap help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Tron, Sep 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

At a lot of the local clubs, it's become customary to tip the trappers after each line shot. I think this is a great idea and a great way to show the Trap help how much we appreciate them. Usually, just a buck will do after a line, but up to 5 bucks is better. Times are tough and this is a way we can help support our great sport and show our local Trap help that we care and do our part to spread the wealth.

2. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

lets see they already are getting paid, to mark down on how you shot, then help them with the math 7-25=18. now need to convince everyone who doesn't have your means that you aren't paying for extra to see something that wasn't there. I don't need to shoot at your club.

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

The lure is cast...

4. Tron

We're only talking a buck here per/line there twinbirds.....

5. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

I usually give the kids 25 cents at the end of the day. . . if I shoot well!

6. skeet_man

They must love to see you @ the restaurant, since a buck a round tip is anywhere from 20-30%...

7. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

While it might be fine to tip the trap help at some clubs it is forbidden at our club as far as I know. You can't even tip the kitchen help. I try to help out some in other ways.

8. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Tron,

Tipping the trap help is, more likely than not, relative to the amount of work and effort that they put into their job. I have seen some trap help bust their rear ends to be efficient and keep the squads moving, load traps when the guys want an extended smoke break, keep their head in the game for proper scoring, calling out broken targets out of the trap, and then I have seen some that move like molasses in winter, and act like its a chore to be there.

So, would I tip an exceptional trap boy or girl?, maybe, . . . but one that is just breathing?, never.

John E.

9. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

I'd go for a jar in the clubhouse, to be evenly split by the help, but I don't want any part of people tipping help on the line. At practice trap ok, but don't be tipping help at a registered shoot personally.

10. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Do any of you remember when a "tip" at a restaurant was for exceptional or "over and above" service? Now if you don't tip the lousiest server in the world you are considered a piker because the food industry has convinced waiters and waitresses that a 15% tip is their right! I don't oppose tipping trap help...but, PLEASE!, let's keep it for those who are exceptional or those who go above and beyond. Jack Farrow (Martinpicker)

11. Tron

They probably deserve it far far more at a registered shoot. They have to work harder and seldom make any errors.

12. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

I think you set the hook a little hard this time. You may have to cut it out!

Ajax

13. Kevin Nelson

Kevin Nelson Member

I once didnt tip a waiter at a Village Inn because of lousy food and service. He cam out out the door after me wanting to know why I didnt leave a tip. A tip is not mandatory, it has to be earned, IMO

14. skeet_man

There isn't a rule against tipping in ATA? There is one for NSSA, and I would assume NSCA as well since they are basically the same organization.

15. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

"then help them with the math 7-25=18"

Where did you learn how to do math?

16. happytrapper

happytrapper TS Member

TRON, I would consider that bribing since they may be keeping your score in the next event. Why do you have to tip anybody when they are getting paid to do a job. Being a fry cook do you get a tip every time you prepare a meal for someone.

17. Tron

I really don't see what could be wrong with giving a trapper a five spot and a friendly wink after shooting a line in rough windy conditions or the such. That's how things are done where I'm from.

Just a thought.

18. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

The Girl who works at Busti gets paid more then enough! She sits in the club house screws around eats and keeps score when she has to. She has left me and others in the trap house multiple rounds, got me to go fill the house and leave my hot breakfast, she proceeded to the kitchen and ordered breakfst and sat down. My other half read her the riot act! Shes getting paid for this shed only been there an hour. I had paid for my league and paid for my hot breakfast. I was the club President at that time, I wanted her fired! She is still there I quit the club, for that and other reasons. I go,pay,shoot and go home. No more busting my a-- loading houses ,unloading semi trucks of targets,pick up hulls(Isave mine anyhow) for me I sat back and watched it for a year.

On the other hand there is a young man who does slightly better. And 1 other young lad who just helps out because(hes got my vote) and I dont mind giveing him advice snacks or what ever.

Just saying if they aint busting hump do they need a tip? $7.50 an hour to do scores, they dont even pull anymore.

My opinion honest or not.

Jerry Lewis

19. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Tron, You smoking weed? We don't have any trap help. Bill

20. plinker611

plinker611 Member

usually at the end of my shooting day,in a tip jar on the counter if the kids did a good job keeping the shoot rolling,if some trappers did a better job than others i hand out the tips as i want,and for those that mentioned the $7.50 min wage,thats like when we got $1.50 for our min wage when we were kids(some may rember no min wage,.mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.