1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Start over

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Feb 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Jan 29, 1998
    I have done that when a fly lands on my Bbl r a sweat bee, or a butterfly.

Gary Bryant
  2. abbielew

abbielew TS Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Dragon flies are nothing, try a Mosquitoes landing on your nose
    just as you are ready to say pull. Do I put my gun down, or challange
    the little devil I can still break the target despite him biting me.
  3. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Louisville, KY
    If I get a fly, wasp, sweat bee or yellow jacket hornet on my gun barrel, I will take my gun down and waive the critter off. One day I got stung on my left arm by a big blue hornet with yellow "feelers" just as I was to call for a target. I now wear plenty of deep woods OFF to chase the bugs away, Be careful with insect repellent because it can make a mess of some gun finishes.

While we are on the subject, large dragon flies make great bass bait especially the ones that you cal almost see through where their wings attach to their body.

When I was a kid, back in the 1950's, (yeah, I'm old) I used to swat them down with a badminton racket near a small farm pond that had agood bass population.

I did not have a fly rod but I could lay out my line behind me and place the dragon fly on a red clover. The reel was a Langley "Stream Lite" and was a non free spool bait cast reel. It had a black braided dacron line and a clear monofilament leader.

I would gently pull the line tight and cast the dragon fly and a # 4 gold aberdeen hook out into a farm pond. Then, I would lay on my stomach and wait. Sometimes it took what seemed like an eternity but a bass would slowly rise to the bait and take it. I caught many a bass that way including one that was over 18" and probably weighed 3 or more pounds. It was the largest bass ever caught in that pond to my knowledge. I got on my bicycle and wore that fish out before my grandmother cleaned and baked it. Today, I would put it back.

Watch out for hornets and other pests while on the line. Flies before a rain are common.

Ed Ward
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.