1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Star shot size difference than U.S. shot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dan2116, Jan 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dan2116

dan2116 Member

I am looking to buy some Star shot and in a previouse thread a shooter said that it is smaller than U.S. shot. How much smaller would it be?

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Patience young grasshopper, the answer is near.

ss

3. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Not sure about the shot size but, one of my buddies got 438 1 oz shells from a 25 lb bag of it...

4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Dan, without getting out the mic. Euro type shot sizes run smaller than American sizes. Their #8's are only slightly larger than our #8 l/2's and their #7 l/2's are only slightly larger than our #8's. That said, I have used Euro type #7 l/2's in long distance games like Miss and Out and Annie's with no problems. Hope this helps you out. Break-em all. Jeff

5. JRW

JRW Member

Where can one find Star shot? Jerry in MI.

6. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

dan2116, Stat shot is made in Argentina, not Europe. The "magnum" shot is softer than US chilled shot. Usually it is round, but I've had a few bags that were not. Actual shot size tend to run smaller than marked on the bag, but sometimes larger. I had one lot of 7 1/2s that actually were US 7 size. It is plenty good enough for singles, but I wouldn't use it for handicap. If you have choke tubes, go 1/2 grade tighter (ie. from M to IM) and you'll make up for the wider pattern the soft shot gives.

7. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

zzt, I was not sure where Star shot was made, but everyone else but the USA is on the metric system and that is Metric shot is slightly smaller than the USA shot for the same number. Yes all bags of shot from the same companyies will have different size shot from lot to lot. I find it holds true for even the Lawerence Brand Mag. Shot. Break-em all. Jeff

8. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Here ya go, click the link. Wayne