1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Star Shot is not metric.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by WNCRob, Mar 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

On several occasions I have seem posters on this site state that Star shot is metric, and is of a smaller diameter that Lawrence, et.al. shot manufactured in the USA. Today, I measuerd 7 pellets from #8 Lawrence and #8 Star. The dimensions and deviations were virtually identical...86-91 thousandths. Deviations were almost exactly the same.

WNCRob

2. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Does it matter to the target if it is hit with metric shot?

3. GW22

GW22 Active Member

As long as the target is metric, it works just fine.

-Gary

4. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

#8 "metric" shot is reportedly the equivalent to #8.5 standard (Imperial)dimensions. It makes a difference to some people.

5. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

UHHHH where's Neil? Rob do ya really think measuring 7 pellets is enough to get a dependable average size? And .005 deviation, that is the size difference between 7.5 and 8's. What is the metric size supposed to be? I would say they are not way out there and now reason to not shoot them.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Number 7.5 shot should have a diameter of 0.0940 inches or 2.3876 millimeters. Number 8 shot should have a diameter of 0.0890 inches or 2.2606 mm. Number 7.5 shot is a unit of measurement that can be converted into other units of measurement just as my handicap load can be described as using 0.0002040816 stones of Green Dot powder.

My problem with the brand of shot mentioned in this thread is that sometimes the shot size stamped on the bag is not the size of shot that is in the bag.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.