1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Star burst breaks

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tracyhunter, Mar 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

What am i doing wrong? the clay bird is breaking in a star burst pattern.I need someone to help me out.

2. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Load and choke???????????????

Jim

3. chipking

chipking TS Member

There are no points for break type in trap just /'s and O's. Don't think/worry yourself from a / to a O

--- Chip King ---

4. kolarroy

kolarroy TS Member

You're shooting under the target. Also, you could be under choked.
    Roy

5. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Don't get all caught up with the smoke balls that you may see and hear about. If you are breaking them that is a hit.

But if it bothers you that much let us know what choke you have. I shot with a kid that used a IC and would "trap" the target right out of the house and he rarely dusted the targets.

Bryan

6. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

.032 choke-1200fps #8's. 1oz. cb4100-12b wad.

7. capvan

capvan Active Member

Switch to 7 1/2's. Will make all the difference in the world...

8. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like you need a new gun, with a tighter choke and using shells that are way to slow as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Then again, don't worry bout it. Your "THINGING" again. Stop doing that right now. Just shoot, don't think. A starberst break is a centered break. If you want smoke choke up a bit. Break-em all. Jeff

9. bigben

bigben Active Member

Tracy, first and foremost, a 32 point constriction will turn targets inside out if the wall of shot hits it. First put your gun on paper shooting at a target 2 inch dot at 35 to 38 yds. shoot 5 or 6 shells at the same target as this will give you a good idea on the results. if the pattern is dead center at the dot, how high is the concentration of shot over the target aim point if any of your shot is below the target, those pellets are of no value as those will be passing under the clay bird, so if you are using a 1 oz load, and your pattern shows 40% below your impact point, you are in effect using slightly more shot than that of a 410! go to your club then after you adjust your gun to perfect center and your shot pellets above the target, the smoked targets and 100 staights will come! incinerate em!

10. dverna

dverna Active Member

Listen to Gary.

Nothing wrong with your load or shot size. Your choke is OK too. I use the same load for practice but use either the Green Duster or Down Range XL-1 wads - I just like them better.

I shoot a .034 choke and smoke them - and you WANT smoke. Cheap hits give you no idea of how you are doing or if hold point needs to be adjusted. Chippers do not shoot consistent A or AA scores - they languish in D and C class.

Don Verna

11. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

By Star Burst Breaks, do you mean that the pieces go in all directions?

If so that is fine.

IF you want to smoke ball the targets...try using 1 1/8 oz of #8 shot and/or if you can change chokes a full(.035 constriction) or X-Full(.040) constriction would be even better.

Jason

12. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

they break in 4 or 5 pieces.

13. shotgun1957

shotgun1957 TS Member

do like they say shoot it on paper at a dot see how it,s pattering if your pattern is spread way out over a large area you need a tighter choke moa

14. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

Like roy said, you're under the target.

15. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

You have enough choke and plenty of shell to make those targets turn to black clouds. As other have suggested, you just don't have the pattern centered on the target. I can't tell you that is high or low or off to one side. Usually people need a higher shooting gun - but not always. You need to play around a bit by shooting straight aways from #3. Try shooting low a little bit - If you miss entirely then you probably need to get the poi op. Then try shooting over them - If you start vaporizing them you have confirmed the low poi. Repeat by shooting off to either side just a hair.

The process is not unlike sighting in a rifle with the exception that you don't get to walk up to the target and see the bullet holes. Once you know where your gun shoots you will have a good idea of what to do to get it shooting where you look. (I predict an adjustable comb in your future)

Smoking the target is important and once you start doing that you will be able to work on that part of your game that will get you into breaking really good scores.

16. dcb_wvu

dcb_wvu Member

Yoda, now that's funny. I am a full choke guy. Just shoot the full choke, you concentrate on the target more and when you are on one side or the other, you will know it by the chips. This sounds like an open pattern to me. I also only use 7.5. But hey, I am a scientist, I remove as many variables as I can and try and control the rest but what do I know, a break is still a break. I get more concerned/frustrated when I see my shot string fly right to the side of a straight away.

17. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

1. Read Dr Jones chapter explaining why breaks can't be read.

2. All that's necessary is that the target comes down in 1 more piece than it went up.

MK

18. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Tell Phil Kiner breaks can't be read. What type of targets are you shooting at? SOME targets will smoke better than others. All you old guys like me, on here remember the Remingtons of 2000-2004? They would leave a black cloud to drift downwind, try that with a Federal.

19. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Raise the comb 1/8th inch. If the breaks improve keep adj till you are centering targets. Your load and choke are fine.

Jim

20. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

Star burst breaks will typically indicate that your POI is too HIGH.

Try lowering the comb 1/16 and see what happens. pk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.