1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Star brand shot from Argentina?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dan2116, Jan 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dan2116

dan2116 Member

I was wanting to know if anyone has reloaded this shot or compared it with West Coast shot for performance. If you like or dislike it. Thank you all.

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I've used it in the past with good results.

If it's priced right, buy it and use it.

Curt

3. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

Curt said it, I agree with him. J.W.

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Pretty much the same thing as Eagle out of Peru. Just remeber it is european sized and runs smaller than what you are use to. It's ok for short range targets and skeet. I wouldn't use it for serious handicap shells.

ss

5. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

short shucker has it right. IMHO Ron

6. dan2116

dan2116 Member

Any idea how much smaller the shot is in comparison to shot made in U.S.?

7. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

I didn't measure them but their #9 appeared to be #9 and smaller. Very inconsistent. I usually load #8 1/2 in Starshot for 12 ga. skeet with good results. Ron

8. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

about 1 size. European size 7 = our 7 1/2's, 7 1/2's = 8's, etc, you get the idea.

ss

9. hoosier

hoosier TS Member

I have used Star shot for several years and have no complaints about using it for long yardage. I would sy buy it and use it. Hoosier

10. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Is Star the brand that comes in plastic bags and shipped 2 bags in a cardboard box?

11. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

It is double-bagged, one is plastic and one is cloth but no box. The old Estate brand from Peru was shipped that way a few years back. Ron

12. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

dan2116, I left a post on your other thread.

Yes, I have compared Star magnum shot to West Coast magnum shot, in many loadings. The Star shot is less than 2% Antimony, while the West Coast magnum is 5%. The WCM shot produces tighter patterns from my fixed chokes at 40 yards.

I've standardized on WCM and have my shot bushings sized to throw the correct weights. That being said, I decided to standardize when the difference in price was only $1.50 per bag. Were I to buy more this moment, West Coast magnum would cost me $34/bag, and Star $25/bag (assuming they have any left at that price). For $9 a bag, I'd use Star for my 1oz singles loads, and WCM for handicap loads.

13. prairieviper

prairieviper Active Member

I don't know about the shot size indicated on the bag being different sizes than shot here in the USA but I have found Star shot to be inconsistent as to size. The last bag I opened appeared to be a mixture of 8's and 8 1/2's or smaller. I didn't measure them but it was plain to see that the shot in the bag was more than one size. I intend to burn them at practice for doubles and use something else come Spring and serious competition.

14. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

Guys,

You know, it is very easy to measure pellets; all you need is a decent 0.000" dial or digital caliper and just pour the shot into a container you can dip the caliper in and it's pretty easy to get a pellet at a time. I have measured thousands of pellets and a caliper is fine for this purpose. It is surprising to see the results of this check, makes you think "why don't they just make one size, 7.5's through 9's"?

I have asked this question before and got no answer; when shot is recovered (mined), remelted and dropped again to produce "new shot", what happens to the antimony content in the original shot??? Does it change, other than the change due to the mixing of shot from many sources? Does the antimony go away for any reason???

Thanks

Larry

15. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

I have an easier way to measure the average diameter of a shot sample very accurately. Take something like a shoe box cover and mark a spot three inches from a corner. Drop enough shot into the cover to form a line from the corner to the mark. Count the number of pellets it takes to make three inches. You can easily estimate the last shot by fractions/decimals. Divide the three inches by the number of shot and you will probably be within a thoudandth or so. Ron

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.