1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stange Shell

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by primed, May 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. primed

primed Well-Known Member

I had a strange event today. A new Federal Gold Medal seemed to fire ok but when I opened the gun the head of the shell was concave and the center of the primer was seperated. I don't know what would cause this. Looks like there must have been some pressure behind the head of the shell but I don't know how that could happen. Any ideas?

Thanks

Bob

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

The primer leaked pressure into the space between the bolt face and the shell-head, Bob. The pressure, confined there, bowed the head of the shell into a direction away from the pressure.

I think.

Neil

3. zinger

zinger Member

I had that happen to some reloads years ago and it turned out to be the flash holes were soldered over on winchester primers.

4. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Had lots of those through the years. Shot ok though.

5. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I think the firing pin pierced the primer and caused pressure to get behind the shell and it bowed the shell in. Have also seen concave hull caused by inserting the larger primer like a Rio in a Federal Shell.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

6. yvonne

yvonne Banned User Banned

Had it happen to me too!

[​IMG]

7. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

Na, you guys are all wrong. The load was so fast it sucked in the base as it left the hull, you think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.