1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

standards for clays?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by slayer, Aug 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if there are standards for clays as far as breakablilty? I shoot regulary at two different local clubs. The same shooters at both clubs have very different averages. It seems as though at one club we get a lot of clays that move, dust etc. without breaking. I shot at Mason, MI last week and it seemed like the registered clays "black smoked" very easily. Maybe this is all in my imagination? The clays that seem stubborn are champion clays, possibly a little old. Bill

2. dls guide

dls guide Member

The main difference is pitch and bios. Pitch are oil based and smoke black. Bios are made of limestone powder and smoke white. Bios are usually tougher targets and most shooters don't like them, but if you center punch them, they break fine. Clubs have gone to bio targets for 2 reasons: some believe them to be more environmentally friendly and they are cheaper. There are also trap and skeet targets and then sporting clay targets made in both pitch and bios. The sporting targets are much denser and tougher than trap targets. Go to White Flyer targets website to see all the target possibilities. Daryl.

3. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Could be something as simple of target spin coming off the arm. More spin better breaks.

4. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

Swap a box from each Club and try them. As said "spin" makes a big difference. Go out and check the un-broken Champions in the field and see if they have pellet holes.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Now WF has pitch targets that give off a white cloud when you smoke it. HMB

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Champions, nuff said....

7. dls guide

dls guide Member

White flyer Pitch targets are black under the paint. So how would they smoke White?

8. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Kansas and Nebraska state shoots proved there is no standard and very little quality control.

jim brown

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Hmmm, I learned something new. I didn't know spin made a difference. It certainly makes sense though.

Now I have a new excuse.

Excuse #105

The spin of the target was too slow. That's why my score was so low.

10. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

grntitan , Yes , spin makes all the difference. Hang one from a string , back off 40yds and try to break it. Take a pocket full of shells with you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.