1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Standard vs Stainless Steel

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by luvtrapguns, Jun 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

How will a SS gun, such as a Ljutic or Browning, hold up versus the standard steel model? I am not referring to cosmetically but to the wear characteristics of things like the hinge pin and other rubbing and locking parts.

Does the SS make the gun heavier with different swing and balance? Has the lighter color of the SS bbl caused any reference problems while shooting? Thanks, Marc

2. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I think you'll find a good 17-4 PH.. properly heat treated will outlast all of us.. My Silver Seitz #49 looks as good as it did when it left the factory..It's been thru ALOT of shells.. Until the advent of steel headed shells..the breech face had only a shiney mark.. A 100,000 rounds later there is .0002 wear at the spot the rim of the shell contacts the breechface..

3. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

It might be 18-4 stainless.. In any event.. properly hardened.. it will last a lifetime.. Many of the newer.. CNC produced guns use a softer steel to be easier on the cutting tools.. Most of them will need more help in their golden years..as opposed to the earlier.. better heat treated metals of the past.. It has to do more about the hardness of the metal.. and the quality.. than if it is regular steel.. or stainless..

4. JTEA

JTEA Member

I have owned both. The manufacturer is more important than the metal. If you have the resources, a stainless can be lightly glass beaded on mat surfaces and look like new. Never noticed color differences when I was shooting properly, though I prefer a black rib. Weight and balance are entirely dependent on overall design, weight etc. A particular metal may be a plus in one model, negative in another due to weight. I prefer stainless in field guns for sure, when it's worth the money.

Best, JT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.