1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Standard Length of Pull

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jakearoo, Oct 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

The old rule for the best starting point was to bend the arm at 90 degrees and measure from the last joint on the trigger finger to the bend at the elbow. For me at 5'11" that measurement is 14 1/4 - 14 3/8 which also is a very comfortable LOP for me. It is only a starting point but it can be pretty accurate. Jake

2. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

Just last night I was going over an old American Rifleman magazine. Date was July 1990. Some guy named Rudy Etchen had an article in there about gun fit.

He says his sleeve length is 37". He shoots a 14" stock.

"The thumb an inch or less away from the nose when the gun is mounted is what I suggest. If the stock is too long it can encourage cross firing for shooters who keep both eyes open."

Etchen is quick to claim that measuring the length of pull by putting the stock in the crook of the elbow, then seeing if it matches up with the trigger finger is ALL wrong.

Think this Etchen guy knows what he is talking about?

AJ100

3. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

read up on the history of trapshooting, you might find out who rudy was.
    also get as short a stock as possible, without having your nose hit your thumb on hard lefts and rights on station 1 and 5.
    steve balistreri

4. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

<I>"Think this Etchen guy knows what he is talking about?"</I>

YUP!

Morgan

5. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

There are three things that I know of that means a gun is too short.
    1. Your nose makes contact with your thumb.
    2. Your glasses make contact with your thumb.
    3. Your middle or ring fingernail cuts into your lip.

Ed Yanchok

6. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

Thank you senior for the suggestion on reading up on the history of trapshooting.

OR

The next time I see Joel at a local shoot, or stop in the shop, I'll ask him if he agrees with what his Dad had to say back then.

Adios amigo, AJ100

7. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

I probably should have asked him myself when I first started shooting 36 years ago huh? LOL

Read up on the history of trapshooting?.....In the words of Elmer Keith "Hell, I was there."

This site is fun. LMAO

AJ100

8. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Wasn't Rudy the grandad?

He also advocated a tight pistol grip with a very short distance from the grip to the trigger. He claimed that it elimated a tendency to flinch. I believe he made stocks with these specifications for folks. Jake

9. Doctor_Chicago

Doctor_Chicago Member

NO - NO - NO

You guys have it ALL Wrong

It is 3 feet

Why?

You stand with your right and left foot

and

Pull with your MIDDLE FOOT!!!

PULL

10. coyote268

coyote268 TS Member

The old idea to measure with the but in your v is wrong. Why. There are so many variables that not one solution is correct for everybody. How long of a neck do you have? Are you a stock crawler? Are you built very husky or thin shouldered? All these variables mean a different fit for each individual. I'm five ten and I jump into a stock and I have arms like a Gorilla. By that I mean long. My usual stock length is fourteen and a half on both shotguns and rifles. In other words, try the gun out as balance, weight and other factors will determin the length of pull you need for a paticular gun.
    Dan

11. coyote268

coyote268 TS Member

The old idea to measure with the but in your v is wrong. Why. There are so many variables that not one solution is correct for everybody. How long of a neck do you have? Are you a stock crawler? Are you built very husky or thin shouldered? All these variables mean a different fit for each individual. I'm five ten and I jump into a stock and I have arms like a Gorilla. By that I mean long. My usual stock length is fourteen and a half on both shotguns and rifles. In other words, try the gun out as balance, weight and other factors will determin the length of pull you need for a paticular gun.
    Dan

12. smokeshow

smokeshow Member

I fully agree with coyote268, factors such as height, arm length, neck length, and shooting style should all be considered. Due to my long neck, skinny tall build, and loving the front of the comb, my length of pull measures right at 16". It is something that varies with every person!

13. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I measure 17" from V to finger joint, way to long a LOP for me. I'm very comfortable shooting 15 1/4", at that length everything seems to be about the right distance from nose and glasses. I find I still want to crawl up on the comb just a little.

14. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

An interesting book for any shooters library if you can find one is Shotgun Shooting by Fred Etchen. Although the guns are outdated by todays standards it has some interesting reading. A friend of mine had one but when he passed away it got lost in the estate Good hunting......Gerald

15. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

Just my 2 cents. As I understand it, if the stock is too short you will get more felt recoil. If the stock is too long you will have problems on the hard angles. Experiment. You can change your LOP by 3/4 of an inch or more just by trying different recoil pads. How does the gun feel on your face with the different LOPs. You have to be comfortable.

JON

16. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

the late and great hall of famer phil miller told me to shoot as short a stock as possible. he said just long enough to keep keep from bumping the nose with the middle fingers. he said you could look right down the barrel that way.

17. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

from chiefjon:

<I>"Experiment. You can change your LOP by 3/4 of an inch or more just by trying different recoil pads. How does the gun feel on your face with the different LOPs. You have to be comfortable."</i>

You don't need to go to that extreme if thumb-nose distance is the concern. In his book, Rollin Oswald writes:

<I>"Changing the length of pull 1/2-inch will change the distance between the nose and thumb (or glasses) approximately 2 inches in the same direction. The ratio is approximately 1:4"</I>

Morgan

18. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

The nose/thumb seperation is useful but other things can contribute to that distance. They are how directly targets are faced when shooting (square or oblique stance), the length of the neck and the height of the gun mount.

Another consideration is how upright the head and neck are positioned when you shoot. Ideally, both should be upright.

A shorter distance between nose and thumb is OK ONLY when the pitch on the stock is correct so the toe of the recoil pad does not bury in the shoulder during recoil and create or allow an unfortunate meeting of the thumb and nose or glasses. At the same time, the gun mount needs to be secure with the butt pulled back snugly to the shoulder pocket.

If you visit my website, please ignore tha awful green background. It was put there by the colorblind fellow who is dealing with the website hosting change. I am working on getting it changed.

Rollin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.