1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

stance question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Trail, May 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trail

Trail Active Member

I attended the Wisconsin State High School Trap Shoot this weekend with a group of young shooters from out town. While there we attended a seminar put on by one of the shooters from our national team. As she worked with our kids, we quickly discovered that they teach a very different stance from what we have always taught our kids.....

She had them facing directly at the trap house...hips and feet basically completely open toward the trap house, with the right foot (for a right handed shooter) about 6 to 9" back from the left, if you drew a line across the toes. I've never seen such an open stance taught before...we've always taught the "classic" 45 degree, 60% of the weight on the front foot.

I guess I'd like some thoughts on this. I know that everyone is different, but when teaching kids what is the "textbook" stance?

Trail

2. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

That is a good stance, knees slightly bent, weight forward, swing fom the hips/waist.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Walk to a post and look where the sharpest angle will come out of the house from that post. Your feet will end up in nearly the proper position by themselves. Many coaches will spend a lot of time on the minor points, such as foot stance, and skip the major points like keeping in the gun and seeing the target.

The same stance will not work best for everyone. Take some clues by watching a few very good shooters. You can teat any stance, with or without a gun, by looking at an object and gently swinging your body to the right and left of that object.

Pat Ireland

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I've seen a lot of this taught to youths lately.I suspect its more an international thing. I've always said find your swing limits and adjust to those. Squaring up to the traphouse causes this ol boy to bind up on lefts and drop my Gun on rights.

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

OK when you're flexible like a 12-year-old.

Not so great when you're pushing 50 and beyond.

I am never that squared up with the station, even on station 1.

If a right-handed shooter squares up like this at station 5, with a hard right, you run the risk of putting all your weight on the heel of your right foot, dropping your right shoulder, and letting the gun get away from your face. I just can't twist like that.

I'm right-handed, and on 5, I place my feet such that my back is to the person on station 4.

Besides that, I prefer to pivot with my weight mostly over my left foot.

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

And I disagree with Pat. I think stance and foot position are very important.

7. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I agree with Tim, stance is very important, you build everything from the ground up. What I've seen is teams that bring coaches in that are not American Trap coaches, I watched a team shoot not long ago that it was obvious they had been coached by a sporting clays instructor, it was obvious in every way they did things. As an example every one of them would mount their guns at a certain spot and then wind their stance back where they would start from. Fine when you know where the bird is coming from but not the best when you don't. At least in my mind. But don't even think of trying to suggest anything contrary to what the "famous" coach showed them. They will not appreciate it.

And then the Bunker style is seen as was mentioned. It's just one of those things, in my area many if not most of the adults who control these youth trap programs have never shot trap themselves and get sold on a coach who might be great but not exactly what you need if you are going to shoot American Trap.

8. Trail

Trail Active Member

Thanks for the input. She does recommend closing up slightly on #5 (for right handers), but only if you're having trouble there. And yes...she shoots international trap but is trained by our olympic team coaches. Dr. Longshot's description is exactly what they teach...squared up, bend at the waste slightly and lean forward slightly.

Trail

9. dhip

dhip Active Member

Intersting,,,after being introduced to this sport in Oct. I shot through the winter and had developed this exact stance in the absence of the friend that got me into this sport. Later at a shoot he walked up to me and asked where I learned this bad habit and directed me to change.Using the legit excuse I was binding on no.5 hard rights(right handed shooter).I made a few adjustments and have improved on the hard rights.Sounds to me I didn't develop a bad habit,just a good starting point.Like to line up as square as possible first,then determine the most expected angle and adjust so I can rotate fluidley to that point.Seems to work.

Doug H.

10. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Watcb the great ata shooters and you will answer your own question. There is no one stance for all shotgun sports just as there is none for the pistol sports.
    That being said the internationals generaLly do fairly weLl at ata trap.

11. tj303

tj303 Member

From Remingtons trap shooting tips. "Foot Position
    On each station, your toes should be placed on an imaginary line which would parallel the line of flight of the extreme left angle target from position #5."
    International trap throws a much wider angle (45 degrees) so yes, a right handed International (bunker) shooter would be more "square" to the trap house than an ATA shooter. We shoot very specific games, each has its own optimal equipment and stance. How many top ATA shooters shoot Bunker guns? Why should an ATA shooter use a Bunker stance?

12. SilverShooter

SilverShooter TS Member

Different stances for differnt folks. I watch the top shooters in my areas and have noticed different stances on most of them. In general clock terms, RH shooters go from about 1230 to about 230 for most with some at 3:30 or 4:00. Consistancy has to be the key like many things in trap.

I work with scouts and anything goes since they are so flexible, but the top consistant kids always have the same stance.

13. Trail

Trail Active Member

But that's my point...they are flexible and at this early stage we can put them in just about any position. So...what's the RIGHT position? What's the baseline stance that we should be teaching? How they evolve from there is their business...I want the correct starting point as taught by the "experts".

Trail

14. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I agree with BigM-Perazzi and his thoughts. Not knowing which 45 degree angle target you may get is far different than what's best for US trapshooting with 17 degree angles. I've only shot one round of bunker but saw immediately that a forward facing stance was an advantage! There's no way to compare these two games basics to one another!

Hap

15. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Trail,

A good starting point for ATA trap is what tj303 said.

"Foot Position On each station, your toes should be placed on an imaginary line which would parallel the line of flight of the extreme left angle target from position #5."

There's a diagram showing what this means (somewhere) on the Remington website.

16. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Try this. Open the one called Trap Shooting Fundamentals.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.